TV Cream

TV: S is for...

Survivors


SUPERBUG RAVAGES the planet leaving nothing but thick-set hairy hobbledehoys in its wake. Counterfactual hokum from back when the idea of an out-of-control, unbeatable virus demolishing everything in its path wasn’t ubiquitous fodder for the Daily Express. TERRY NATION invented it after realising he’d never get any money for claiming he’d created the Daleks (it was Davros, everyone knows that). CAROLYN SEYMOUR and IAN MCCULLOCH were two of the titular old-timers, eating worms, building fires and arguing about free will. Encompassed, unbelievably, three series and appearances by PETER DUNCAN.

2 Comments

2 Comments

  1. Glenn Aylett

    June 25, 2009 at 6:37 pm

    Clever programme that was mostly filmed on location and showed people what life would be like if 99 per cent of the world’s population died and the remaining 1 per cent had to fend for themselves. Fairly horrific memorable scene in the first series was when the group walked into an empty railway station and were savaged by rats and also when Abby Grant had to burn her dead husband’s corpse. Got a bit stale by the third series, but the first series was memorable enough to inspire a brilliant remake last year which lost none of the bite of the original but was a bit more multicultural than the white middle class original.

  2. Chris Jones

    March 19, 2020 at 2:19 pm

    Modern parallels make the truth stranger than fiction – Talfryn Thomas’finest hour when he tearfully admits to the killing. Stands up well after all these years

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

"Brian's Binatone is great for his cassettes!"

To Top