TV: L is for...

Lenny Henry Show, The

THE ONE that went “That’s right, I’m back, and it’s not a repeat” even when it was. Delbert Wilkins, PC Ganga, Joshua “Katanga” Yarlog, old fart Deakus, Theophilus P Wildebeeste, thick bloke from Dudley, spoofs of DR WHO – Lenworth’s finest hour.

1. Joanne Gray

February 18, 2017 at 10:26 pm

I really enjoyed this series, coming after his success on Three Of A Kind. I can only find little bits and bobs on YT – does anyone know if there’s a dvd?

2. THX 1139

January 28, 2019 at 12:38 am

It’s 4 in the morning
    The piano is yawning
    AND JOHNNY IS FARTING MY WAY

3. Glenn Aylett

February 3, 2019 at 11:22 am

It seemed Lenny Henry had arrived by 1984 by landing this series and a show on Radio 1. Not bad, but I always preferred his stand up and Three of a Kind.

4. THX 1139

January 10, 2020 at 9:56 am

I can thoroughly recommend Lenny’s autobiography, a mix of laughs and soul searching, plus a fascinating insight into 1970s showbiz as it was. Most unexpected was that he pays sincere tribute to Don MacLean and Keith Harris as mentors (as well as Chris Tarrant, but you could have guessed that). Definitely one of the best celeb memoirs of recent years. Cartoons, too!

5. richardpd

January 10, 2020 at 2:05 pm

I remember it being quite a mixture of monologue & sketches, some of which could get quite creepy, like when he started to build his own gallows.

This went over my head at the time, but my parents didn’t like this turn of mood compared to the usual material a 6 year old would find funny.

6. Droogie

January 10, 2020 at 5:46 pm

Loved this show as a kid. As a Young Ones fan, guest appearances by Rik Mayall and Alexi Sayle etc.in sketches was a joy. My favourite Lenny character was one he only performed once to my knowledge – Billy Bradford – a parody of a clapped-out cabaret act who’d use the old hack device of singing the intro of a popular song, only to stop the music and tell a gag based on the subject matter of the song. The gags relating to the songs would get weirder and more surreal. Me and my best mate at school would quote from this sketch for months.