Obviously the best bit of each weekly Digi-Cream Times mailout is the last line, but this week’s was – hopefully – particularly satisfying, linking as it did to this stunning re-imagining of Ron Grainer’s second finest hour after Tales Of The Unexpected (Winebar Mix).
Said song hails from a site devoted to collecting amateur makeovers of the Dr Who theme, but given there are hundreds on there, and given they’re mostly crap, taking pot luck isn’t an advisable experience. Here, then, are five of the best to save you the bother of unexpectedly downloading HellFire Hard Trance feat. The Cybermen.
1) Manhattan Transfer had nothing on this. One bloke scats, croons and duddle-de-dums his way through a multi-voiced tonsil-taxing triumph.
2) Someone bashing it out on one of those plinky-plonky pianos of the kind you only get in school halls and on Winifred Atwell records. With a TARDIS sound effect for good measure. Ten times more convincing than your average David Tennant episode, that’s for sure.
3) The Jar Humphreys Dr Who Dub Explosion mix. Throw your best skanking shapes to this seriously wonderful bit of demented electronic reggae, of the kind Macca would probably have turned out over a sesame seed bap and a funny cigarette.
4) A toe-tapping cha-cha-cha medley combining your finest Palm Court Orchestra frugging, the old 1960s rubbish theme, and a guest appearance from Professor Who himself. “One day, yes, one day, y-y-yes one day…I shall come back!”
5) A musical joke. With a certain familiar festive tune creeping in at the end.
Nominations for the best one?