BROADCASTING’S HOTTEST PROPERTY parachuted in as cornerstone of Bannisterisation process, replacing tired time-honoured Weekend Morning riffathon tradition with phone-in based disorientating proto-Cream blend of bewilderingly esoteric nostalgic chatter, ridiculous stunts performed over the phone, bizarre listener-experienced real-life events, quests to find the scariest musical note ever (“Why don’t they just pull over and let him park?”) and the most insane rendition of Smoke On The Water (including one played on ‘kindling’), and the frankly indescribable The University Of Turmoil. The best thing ever broadcast on Radio 1 by some considerable distance but sadly never caught on, due partly to witless tabloid hate campaign, and the show was steadily shaved of running time (“We’re like Boxing Helena!”) until there was literally nothing left of it.
New! From K-Tel!
TVC on Twitter
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
Top of the Pops
Friday, 19.30, 00.00, BBC4
Back to the double headers, we’re pleased to see. We all know Pops now is better than at any point during this repeat run, although one downside has been in the hosts where they’re failed to fill the hole left by our favourite host Kid Jensen. But now they’ve done that in the shape of, er, David Jensen. Back from a year on CNN, Kid is back on Radio 1 and back on the Pops, and he takes to the current format, and the vibrant pop scene, like a duck to water, so it’s a treat to see him again. Sadly someone else from earlier in this repeat run is also back, which means the extended version probably won’t have all the acts in either. But rather that than not at all.
Subscribe to Creamguide!
Points of View
- In 'Creamvote quarter-final #4', Richard16378 says: "Tough choice, but Grandstand just squeezed through, helped by being used on that Vincent Price film about roller coasters that..."
- In 'Creamvote quarter-final #3', Des E says: "Hey! Can’t we vote here or is it all being done on Twitter on this occasion?"
- In 'PICK OF THE DAY', Des E says: "It’s their last *credited* dance. We’ll see them dancing to “Happy Birthday” and “Favourite Shirts (Boy Meets..."
- In 'PICK OF THE DAY', Richard16378 says: "According to the 1981 music documentary The Birdie Song was the last to have Legs & Co. dance to, so the transition to the 1980s format is..."
- In 'Creamvote quarter-final #2', Des E says: "So, unlike last week, we have a clear winner. That it’s DW is no surprise at all. It’s not all that surprising, either, that its..."