ASPEL-HELMED LONDON-ONLY weekend-starting magazine, notable for launching television careers of JANET STREET-PORTER and DANNY BAKER, while MASTERMIND’s FRED HOUSEGO, CHRIS TARRANT and, on the way home from County Hall, KEN LIVINGSTONE were also on board. GREG DYKE was the brains behind it all. Became the most watched regional programme in Britain – unsurprising, really, with items like Janet jousting with pigeon fanciers or trying to raise a replica matchstick Titantic from a pond, or a live OB on Southend beach where the tide came in early and wrecked everything, or an item invaded by a bunch of kids, one of whom was promptly picked up by the reporter and thrown across the street. Most memorable moment of all was furious contretemps at a railway station twixt an officious British Rail employee and a swarthy Baker who was attempting to elicit voxpops from the capital’s plebs. Official: “Come on Danny, you know you can’t film here.” Baker: “How dare you! Don’t you dare speak to me like that!”
New! From K-Tel!
TVC on Twitter
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
We haven’t actually watched last week’s first episode of this series yet but they do appear to have gone off the beaten track a bit in terms of the clips, which is encouraging to know, though they lose a bit of goodwill with some truly awful cropping to widescreen. It’s The Two Ronnies this week, with a bit of luck including Ronnie B smashing up his Sun award on Wogan after they printed a made-up story about him.
Subscribe to Creamguide!
Points of View
- In 'Naked Video', David Smith says: "The end credits for the latter series replaced the roaring Thatcher with John Major as a buck toothed mouse, I recall…"
- In 'Friends in Space', Danny says: "OMG! I’ve been looking for this for years. Watching it as a kid it stayed with me and I never forgot it!"
- In 'New Faces', harvey wood says: "I was on new faces in 1975 does anyone have any copies or information please thanks"
- In 'That’s Life!', Zardoz says: "‘Heap of the Week’ in the early series. Esther – ‘I demand you find me someone even less funny than Cyril Fletcher’...."
- In 'PICK OF THE DAY', Droogie says: "I’ll give this a go, but if any of the awful bands that seemed to have a weekly residency on TFI like Ocean Colour Scene or Texas..."