It being precisely 20 years since Sky Television arrived in the UK, here’s a special photo clippage collection hailing from the station’s early what-would-the-neighbours-think era.
1) Down at Waterloo station, Frank Bough is on hand to greet commuters with a video wall that tries to make five channels look like fifty-five.
2) Back at HQ, Rupert perches on a draped box to join Andrew Neil in pushing the ‘Push This Button To Make TV Channel Start’ Button:
3) Rupert and Alan sign a 10-year lease for the Astra satellite (real size pictured):
4) Meet the team! Andrew, Peter, Alistair, Derek, Penny, Tony, Kay and Bob:
5) Forward a few years, and Sky is ready to be floated on the stock exchange. Sam Chisholm and Anna Walker threaten to be upstaged by what everyone’s really interested in…that’s right – the news that shares will be between 233p and 268p!
6) Jeremy Guscott and Roger Black receive their application forms for shares in British Sky Broadcasting Group plc. Well, that’s what it says here.
7) The Premier League arrives, in the shape of BSkyB cheerleader Liniette Bertelsen, in the capable hands of Messrs Salako, Le Saux, Mabbutt, Cundy and Merson: