TV: B is for...

Benny Hill Show, The

"Mammy!" Benny does his bit for international relations - "and believe me, I've had a few!"

MORE FAMOUS than the Queen in the US. Lived in a shitty flat with money under the mattress. Ben Elton hated him. Same script used for entire decades of “specials”: Hill’s Angels; dappy beret-with-protruding-tongue “character”; running at triple speed in single file via a zigzag route through the park; slapping that bald bloke on the head; “humourous graffiti”; more running at triple speed back in the other direction; HENRY MAGEE, BOB TODD, BELLA EMBERG, NICHOLAS PARSONS looking alternately discomfited and petrified; Fred Scuttle; Chinese bloke Chow Mein. Sides split from sea to shining sea.

"Then she told me she couldn't half do with a stiff one" "And a rock cake caught 'im right between the eyes!"

1. paulus - Bangkok

July 16, 2009 at 4:38 pm

It’s great for 2 reasons
    1. The dialogue was witty and clever. The songs were funny… who could ever deny “Ernie”.
    2. If Ben Elton hated it… it’s OK in my book

It’s dead-in a pile of your own money-tastic!

2. Glenn A

February 17, 2010 at 10:53 pm

Totally agree, Paulus, and Nina Myskow hated him so that was another reason to like him. Come to think of it there was a lot Nina Myskow hated and there was a lot of people who hated Nina Myskow.

3. Lee James Turnock

April 30, 2010 at 5:23 pm

If you forget the rather dismal final series, with Benny playing nicely with “cute” toddlers as a sop to the critics who were busy burying the poor bastard alive, and focus on the Todd / McGee / Wright years, this was a genuinely great, surprisingly inventive series.

4. Malcolm Foster

June 25, 2010 at 9:06 pm

Loved it! Great innocent British humour.

5. Paul Norton

May 6, 2011 at 3:30 pm

Erm, sorry to disappoint but I don’t think I ever managed to watch an entire episode. Even when I was 8 I kept asking myself, ‘What’s the point?’

6. wolvesboy84

May 6, 2011 at 6:38 pm

The follow up effort trying to recreate the magic with Freddie Starr was dismal.

The Benny years were ace.

7. Palitoy

May 7, 2011 at 10:11 am

Only funny part was the slapping of the bald man’s head. The rest was creepy, cheese-dream awfulness. I loathe Ben Elton too – but Enfield’s ‘Benny Elton’ sketch was inspired.

8. Ste

May 7, 2011 at 7:26 pm

I can clearly remember a Hills Angels-triggered junior boner in my Hulk pyjamas.

9. Glenn A

March 30, 2017 at 8:35 pm

It’s nearly 25 years since Benny died. Sad thing is a new contract from Central had arrived at his flat the day he died and Benny was talking about doing a comedy version of Midnight Caller. Shame we never got to see it as even though he was a bit tired in his last years on Thames, Benny’s shows were still worth a look.
    Also the comments about his meanness on here are exaggerated. He was never much into spending money on homes and never owned a car, but was generous to his friends, liked to spend money on foreign travel and gave a lot to charity in quiet.

• David Smith

March 30, 2017 at 11:10 pm

Midnight Caller the US DJ-detective thing?! With Benny Hill? Bit random… 😕

10. Glenn A

April 1, 2017 at 11:16 am

Interesting fact, Dennis Kirkland, the show’s producer, came from North Shields, where I was born, and was the school year above my dad. Even at school, Kirkland dreamed of going into television and being a famous actor. He didn’t quite make it, but settled for producing and being the warm up man for Benny Hill.

11. Droogie

April 9, 2017 at 3:37 am

Benny Hill’s TV career ended not because of political correctness, but because he became too tired and old and repetitive even for Thames TV. The Channel 4 documentary years later about him was also a real eye opener – especially about his dodgy seduction techniques on young ladies involving poached eggs on toast at his bachelor flat and strong aftershave applied to the genitals.

12. Glenn A

April 9, 2017 at 10:00 pm

Droogie, the papers did rumour about him having affairs with his dancers, but nothing was ever proved and it was well known in showbusiness he was extremely shy around women and seemingly never had a long term relationship. I think scandal wise, compared with some of his contemporaries, there’s very little that would stick on Benny Hill.
    I will agree, though, Benny was getting a bit tired by his last two series and Thames could have asked him to take a rest. Sad thing is, the day he died, Central had offered him a contract and he did have some fresh ideas for a new series.