FINAL resting place of the one-time broadcasting institution, by then very much on its last legs thanks to the machinations of Derek Griffiths and Barnaby. Glory days of youngsters giving a flying fuck about the exploits of My Naughty Little Sister and The Yompity Yo were long gone, and later years saw attempts to update wildly anachronistic approach by bringing in folk-rockers like Nola York and finally desperately involving Noel Edmonds in some capactity, but to no avail. Cancelled in 1982, to much still-enduring wailing and gnashing of teeth.
TVC on Twitter
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
A lot’s been said about Hugh Carleton Greene’s reign as Director General and he certainly did plenty of great things, though in many ways he only had himself to blame in his battles with Mary Whitehouse because he did sometimes seem to go out of his way to wind her up, and he wasn’t entirely the great liberal as he refused to let That Was The Week That Was go out in the same year as the General Election. Certainly more good than bad, though, and in the next episode of this repeated series he’s the focus alongside his commissions like The Wednesday Play.
Subscribe to Creamguide
Points of View
- In '37) “You should stay at home!” ', Morgan says: "Given that the whole of Southern England was, like TV Centre, in darkness, it’s hard to imagine who was able to..."
- In 'Origami', David Bally says: "Actually the presenter of origami was british magician and author Robert Harbin. Richard Hittleman (correct spelling) was the American presenter of Yoga..."
- In 'Soldiers Talking, Cleanly', Wul says: "I saw this. I was a squadie at the time. It was spot on about the military politics of the period, and quite funny; especially the last couple..."
- In 'Opportunity Knocks', Philip mcGovern says: "Peter, I have no real idea how these things work but I stumbled across “st Kevin’s Choir” and came across your notes...."
- In 'Home taping ', Richard M White says: "Thankfully I have managed to acquire 100s of original recordings of the old chart shows but am always looking for more. I’m also writing a..."