SUBLIME filling of the popular-cultural no-man’s-land between Christmas Day and New Year’s Day with a set of short but charming mini-documentaries on a handful of erstwhile childrens’ TV favourites too old to still be ‘on’ but too recent to be properly nostalgised over yet: Tiswas, Play School, Vision On, the Smallfilms ouvre, Crackerjack, an odds-and-ends collection taking in Bill & Ben/Trumptonshire/Fingerbobs/Captain Pugwash/Mr Benn, and most infamously of all, a startling look back at the rivalry between Blue Peter and Magpie, peppered with guarded inter-presenter verbal barbs and hinting at all manner of shadowy The Fourth K-esque management power struggles behind the scenes. No wonder Noakes and Shep were so keen to ‘Go’! Packed to the ‘white void’ studio rafters with original contributors and bizarre anecdotes about stolen Teds, incinerated Mintons, foul-mouthed Clangers, New York taxi drivers shouting ‘COMPOST CORNER!’, ‘baby bump’-concealing scenery, Hamble-torture, Gilliam/Yellow Sumbarine-emulation, Leo Sayer fuming at theft of trademark ‘perm’, hypothermia-afflicted future Doctor Whos, backstage Play School joint-toking, and sticking two fingers up at Noel Edmonds, and with nary a second-rate standup doing that counting an imaginary ‘witty’ list off on their fingers thing in sight, this was – in a very real sense – what they want. Not to mention inspiring someone, somewhere to upload a handful of Fred Harris JPEGs…Read More
New! From K-Tel!
TVC on Twitter
Subscribe to Creamguide!
Points of View
- In 'District Nurse, The', Glenn Aylett says: "@ Richard 16378 There’s been an accident at the pit, Nurse Roberts, or Myfanwy’s got rickets, not as easy going as All Creatures..."
- In 'What We Just Watched – Episode Two', THX 1139 says: "The juror’s note gag is pretty ancient, I’m fairly sure Benny Hill and Dave Allen used it too."
- In 'Cheviot, the Stag and the Black, Black Oil, The ', Russell Cowe says: "“The Cheviot the Stag and the Black Black Oil” will be released on Blu-ray later this year,..."
- In 'They Live ', George White says: "The best film about UK wrestling is the comic short World of Wrestling – which crams in almost every wrestler of the era (bar Bomber Roach and..."
- In 'Let’s Read with Basil Brush', Richard16378 says: "One story was about getting something out of a tree, which Basil suggested should be chopped down."