SUBLIME filling of the popular-cultural no-man’s-land between Christmas Day and New Year’s Day with a set of short but charming mini-documentaries on a handful of erstwhile childrens’ TV favourites too old to still be ‘on’ but too recent to be properly nostalgised over yet: Tiswas, Play School, Vision On, the Smallfilms ouvre, Crackerjack, an odds-and-ends collection taking in Bill & Ben/Trumptonshire/Fingerbobs/Captain Pugwash/Mr Benn, and most infamously of all, a startling look back at the rivalry between Blue Peter and Magpie, peppered with guarded inter-presenter verbal barbs and hinting at all manner of shadowy The Fourth K-esque management power struggles behind the scenes. No wonder Noakes and Shep were so keen to ‘Go’! Packed to the ‘white void’ studio rafters with original contributors and bizarre anecdotes about stolen Teds, incinerated Mintons, foul-mouthed Clangers, New York taxi drivers shouting ‘COMPOST CORNER!’, ‘baby bump’-concealing scenery, Hamble-torture, Gilliam/Yellow Sumbarine-emulation, Leo Sayer fuming at theft of trademark ‘perm’, hypothermia-afflicted future Doctor Whos, backstage Play School joint-toking, and sticking two fingers up at Noel Edmonds, and with nary a second-rate standup doing that counting an imaginary ‘witty’ list off on their fingers thing in sight, this was – in a very real sense – what they want. Not to mention inspiring someone, somewhere to upload a handful of Fred Harris JPEGs…Read More
New! From K-Tel!
TVC on Twitter
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
We think this film has been in the cinema but not on the television before. It’s the full and at times rather bleak story of one of the most influential bands of the new wave, enlivened by the presence of all the surviving band members who don’t just contribute memories plus also rare footage and music as well.
Points of View
- In 'PICK OF THE DAY', Richard16378 says: "While I was a bit too young to get into this it’s still nice to see it back on TV. I did wonder if the early 1990s repeats of lots of old..."
- In 'Up and Down, In and Out, Roundabout Man, The', Daniel Bennison says: "Hi, I am Ben’s son and would like to know if there is a way of acquiring the up and..."
- In 'Neighbours', Richard16378 says: "Originally Neighbours was show at 13:30 each afternoon, with a repeat of the previous day’s episode at about 10:30. Once it became popular with..."
- In 'Neighbours', Scott McPhee says: "The popularity of Neighbours in the UK was often a discussion point in the TV press here. For one thing, kids across the UK were reported to be..."
- In 'Skippy the Bush Kangaroo', Scott McPhee says: "Probably. Reruns of Skippy are still shown on early morning television. I’ll have to check."