NED SHERRIN-led roundtable arts discussion pot-pourri which initially threw together unlikely combinations of semi-regulars including Stephen Fry (as ‘Dr Donald Trefusis’), John Walters, Richard Jobson, Emma Freud, Craig Charles, Samantha Fox, Jonathan Ross, Pip Dann, Robert Elms, Carol Thatcher, Alan Bennett, and anyone else who could throw together three or four words on the popularity of EastEnders or the latest Mike Leigh film, while over in the corner Victor Lewis-Smith fired off breakneck speed tape-wind-festooned listener-scaring reports on whatever took his fancy. Caused several unexpected outrages, not least over Fry’s celebrated rant about ‘parent power’, Elms shouting at someone who sniffed at graphic novels, and Lewis-Smith’s accidental invention of the ‘Master Bates, Seaman Staines and Roger The Cabin Boy’ myth. Still going under the watchful eye of Clive Anderson but, with most of its oddball regulars long since gone, largely degenerated into PR puff-piece parking lot for anyone with a book to plug.Read More
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
Thursday, 17.30, CBBC
News this week that Blue Peter are launching a new badge to encourage participation in sport was accompanied in the press release by the more interesting news to us that this programme’s now got a new editor, one Ewan Vinnicombe. We’ll put aside our disappointment at not being headhunted to take the job ourselves and wish him all the best, although research suggests he doesn’t appear to be on Twitter, thus seemingly preventing us from being able to bend his ear and directly influence Blue Peter policy. Meanwhile, last week’s episode came in its entirety from the garden, showing off that it’s quite a versatile space and, despite the fact there’s a tram stop right next to it and a tram appeared to arrive during the programme, is actually quite quiet. The tranquillity of Salford, there.
Subscribe to Creamguide
Points of View
- In 'PICK OF THE DAY', Gerry Dorrian says: "Is this an attempt to boost flagging audience figures? I don’t think anybody cares about Blue Peter anymore. I always preferred..."
- In 'WRIGHT, Steve', THX 1139 says: "This is truly obscure, but does anyone remember the made up band on the show about 1990, at least I think they were made up, but Wrighty would plug..."
- In 'Hunter, The', THX 1139 says: "“Have nose will hunt”. Why did the Hunter sound like Foghorn Leghorn, and his nephew sound like Mr Magoo’s nephew Waldo? They..."
- In 'Rentadick ', THX 1139 says: "“Sadly”?! There used to be a Rentaghost slash fiction story on the internet, which was a joke about fifteen years ago, but I worry what might..."
- In 'Heads and Tails', Applemask says: "Heads and Tails was just one title. Opposites Attract and Animal World were others. As seen whenever there were five minutes of dead air on..."