SUBLIME filling of the popular-cultural no-man’s-land between Christmas Day and New Year’s Day with a set of short but charming mini-documentaries on a handful of erstwhile childrens’ TV favourites too old to still be ‘on’ but too recent to be properly nostalgised over yet: Tiswas, Play School, Vision On, the Smallfilms ouvre, Crackerjack, an odds-and-ends collection taking in Bill & Ben/Trumptonshire/Fingerbobs/Captain Pugwash/Mr Benn, and most infamously of all, a startling look back at the rivalry between Blue Peter and Magpie, peppered with guarded inter-presenter verbal barbs and hinting at all manner of shadowy The Fourth K-esque management power struggles behind the scenes. No wonder Noakes and Shep were so keen to ‘Go’! Packed to the ‘white void’ studio rafters with original contributors and bizarre anecdotes about stolen Teds, incinerated Mintons, foul-mouthed Clangers, New York taxi drivers shouting ‘COMPOST CORNER!’, ‘baby bump’-concealing scenery, Hamble-torture, Gilliam/Yellow Sumbarine-emulation, Leo Sayer fuming at theft of trademark ‘perm’, hypothermia-afflicted future Doctor Whos, backstage Play School joint-toking, and sticking two fingers up at Noel Edmonds, and with nary a second-rate standup doing that counting an imaginary ‘witty’ list off on their fingers thing in sight, this was – in a very real sense – what they want. Not to mention inspiring someone, somewhere to upload a handful of Fred Harris JPEGs…Read More
TVC on Twitter
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
Friday, 23.00, BBC Radio 4 Extra
The fact this programme is being repeated was a news story on Media Guardian the other day, seemingly based on someone reading the Radio Times and spotting it, though they did a better job than we did because it actually started last week and we didn’t notice. It’s the first repeat this side of the millennium and, you’ll note, rather earlier than the original broadcast, though we hear it’s only a five part series because there are contractual complications over whether show six, the one that famously got faded out after fifteen minutes, is actually a proper episode or not. Still, at least you can upgrade your mp3s of the other ones.
Subscribe to Creamguide
Points of View
- In '4) “Your tone is antagonistic and you’re making me very angry!”', Richard Davies says: "I recently rewatched The Day Today & this is one of the funnier moments,..."
- In 'Water Margin, The', IanW1968 says: "aah ha sa chaa naa eeee!"
- In 'Man About the House', IanW1968 says: "I just watched all of the 4th, 5th and 6th series on youtube, it’s still brilliant. Robin’s buying a piano off Roper. Robin:..."
- In '4) “Your tone is antagonistic and you’re making me very angry!”', Alan B says: "Surely nobody has ever looked at rolling news with anything other than contempt..."
- In '24) “What kind of a thing is happening here?”', neu75 says: "The very best bit is the England bench’s reaction to the equaliser against Poland. Priceless…"