Former balladeer and Light Programme crooner turned Pink Floyd-baited mid-morning stalwart of Radio 1, before shifting over to 2 in 1973, becoming ‘Mrs. Thatcher’s Favourite Broadcaster’ in the process (as if that was something worth repeating to people). Debatable ‘highlight’ of syrupy request-heavy meanderfest was a daily recipe, heralded by the voice of chipmunkesque chef-type creation Raymondo (that nationally-adopted catchphrase in full: “What’s the recipe of the day, Jim?”). Until recently could still be heard every lunchtime with his Legal Beagle and that fantastic theme music, up to enforced ‘retirement’ with attendant public outcry and time-honoured column-based ‘blasting’ of his former paymasters.
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
Second part of this, where our hero moves slightly more towards the mainstream and starts penning film soundtracks, including the likes of Flashdance and Top Gun, plus of course The Never Ending Story which means we get to enjoy Limahl nestling alongside the rest of the heavyweight contributors, plus another film where his soundtrack is probably about a hundred times more famous now than the actual film. It’s the title of this programme, for a start.
Subscribe to Creamguide
Points of View
- In 'PICK OF THE DAY', Gerry Dorrian says: "“The Never Ending Story” is still one of my favourite songs and the video for the hit is brilliant. Pity Limahl had to get a female..."
- In 'PICK OF THE DAY', Gerry Dorrian says: "I don’t object to what the BBC wants to do, I merely object to being forced to pay through the nose to fund it with next to no say on its..."
- In 'Knowing Me, Knowing You… With Alan Partridge', Applemask says: "It’s happening. Deal with it."
- In 'The Collins Cream-ish Dictionary', Paul Bovey says: "Apparently, the “Hah, huh…hoouurgh” in ‘Mama’ was ‘influenced’ by Melle Mel’s cackle in the..."
- In 'Ripcord', Lina B. Umpierre says: "I’m so glad TGG’s bringing the two seasons of “Ripcord” on DVD sets for sale that I’ll jump for joy! Geronimo!"