GEORGE COLE aka Arthur Daley (sheepskin coat, cigar, hat, jewellery, ‘er indoors, “nice little earner”, “world is your lobster, my son”) and DENNIS WATERMAN aka Terry McCann (boxer, fighter, mouthing-off-er) fall in and out of trouble every week, encountering dodgy a) gear b) birds c) topless birds d) filth e) motors en route. Went on for ever. TOP OF THE POPS came calling when theme, performed by ‘Dennis Waterman And The Dennis Waterman Band’ went skywards, ditto spoken-word novelty Christmas tune ‘What Are We Gonna Get For ‘Ed Indoors’. Waterman pissed off to be replaced by GARY WEBSTER in 1991. Also kicking around: GEORGE LAYTON, GLYNN EDWARDS, PATRICK MALAHIDE, PETER CHILDS and ANTHONY VALENTINE.
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
For the first time in a while, two consecutive episodes, so it’s a completely different line-up to the last time and some belated debuts for Ian Dury and Sham 69 who we’d have otherwise seen two weeks ago, in a classic Pops juxtaposition with another Cilla flop and the first appearance of a record that, even skipping all the Savile and Travis episodes, you’re going to hear a hell of lot over the next few months.
Subscribe to Creamguide
Points of View
- In 'Wheeltappers and Shunters Social Club, The', Applemask says: "Clarification: Manning wasn’t deceased at the time"
- In 'Walter', Applemask says: "Made a great statement of intent for launch night. Had a sequel a year later in which Sabrina absconds with Sarah Miles, tries to exist in real world,..."
- In 'Wacky Races', Applemask says: "Attempted revival as Fender Bender 5000 in the nineties failed due to lack of Anthill Mob and Penelope Pitstop, addition of the likes of Yogi Bear,..."
- In 'The Official Doctor Who Fan Club returns', Applemask says: "Why is Doctor Who’s status as a children’s show so important to you?"
- In 'Sixty Minutes', Applemask says: "Complete failure on the graphic designers’ part to make the letter S look like the number 60."