FUZZED-UP sideburned sparky pop fun from a trio of hyperactive youngsters who seemed to have worked out everything that was great about Cream-era pop and bashed it out in a collection of rapid-fire punky pop-splurge Buzzcocks-meet-Pistols-meet-Madness-meet-Syd’s-Floyd-meet-Bowie-meet-Beach-Boys-meet-Eurotrash-theme thrills. Seemingly beamed in from a universe where ‘quallidy pop’ never happened, Gaz, Danny and Mickey were the toast of 1995 and rightly so; not only were they immeasurably better than any of their Britpop peers (yes, including Oasis and – at least in their circa-The Great Escape incarnation – Blur) and therefore by association enormously more exciting than anything else around at the time, they also made a rather corking album to boot. There’s the surprisingly large hit singles quotient (Caught By The Fuzz, Mansize Rooster, Lenny, Alright, and we’re counting Time and Lose It as well round here thank you very much), the manic singalongs (I’d Like To Know, Strange Ones, She’s So Loose), the are-they-for-real? jokiness (Sitting Up Straight, Time To Go), the lovelorn epic (Sofa (Of My Lethargy)), and the downright oddness (We’re Not Supposed To, and all that “Igor! I can’t find you…” business) that suggested they’d spent a little too long poking around the more unhinged corners of their local independent record shop. For so many reasons it couldn’t last, of course, but even then Supergrass defied all logic and expectation by getting better and better as their star steadily but very very slowly faded.
TVC on Twitter
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
We should look at the nations’ output a bit more but, to be honest, we always forget – but we’re not going to forget a name like that, are we? Insert the joke about it being hard to tell the difference here. Seems a pretty low-concept show, to be honest, but with the news that among those sharing their memories is the mighty Gaz Top, it’s well worth navigating the outer reaches of the EPG if you’re not in the principality.
Subscribe to Creamguide
Points of View
- In 'Creamvote #5 The most unforgettable kids’ factual show theme!', Dan Pearce says: "As much as find it hard to vote for the traitors’ channel, it has to be Magpie. I have..."
- In 'Creamvote #5 The most unforgettable kids’ factual show theme!', Mark Wright says: "Like thousands of other kids of my generation, I was allowed to watch ITV in our house, so..."
- In 'Three for the Fancy', Steve Welton says: "Fabulous play! I am also looking for a copy of this little Gem……….. “Rumours travel fast among the..."
- In 'Creamvote #4 The most unforgettable sitcom theme!', GhostDiver says: "Most memorable for me is Some Mothers Do ‘Ave ‘Em – takes me right back to Saturday nights in..."
- In 'Fingerbobs', Mike Bailey says: "There was an article in the papers saying that Rick Jones was permanently off his face in the studio – and that he destroyed the..."