FUZZED-UP sideburned sparky pop fun from a trio of hyperactive youngsters who seemed to have worked out everything that was great about Cream-era pop and bashed it out in a collection of rapid-fire punky pop-splurge Buzzcocks-meet-Pistols-meet-Madness-meet-Syd’s-Floyd-meet-Bowie-meet-Beach-Boys-meet-Eurotrash-theme thrills. Seemingly beamed in from a universe where ‘quallidy pop’ never happened, Gaz, Danny and Mickey were the toast of 1995 and rightly so; not only were they immeasurably better than any of their Britpop peers (yes, including Oasis and – at least in their circa-The Great Escape incarnation – Blur) and therefore by association enormously more exciting than anything else around at the time, they also made a rather corking album to boot. There’s the surprisingly large hit singles quotient (Caught By The Fuzz, Mansize Rooster, Lenny, Alright, and we’re counting Time and Lose It as well round here thank you very much), the manic singalongs (I’d Like To Know, Strange Ones, She’s So Loose), the are-they-for-real? jokiness (Sitting Up Straight, Time To Go), the lovelorn epic (Sofa (Of My Lethargy)), and the downright oddness (We’re Not Supposed To, and all that “Igor! I can’t find you…” business) that suggested they’d spent a little too long poking around the more unhinged corners of their local independent record shop. For so many reasons it couldn’t last, of course, but even then Supergrass defied all logic and expectation by getting better and better as their star steadily but very very slowly faded.
TVC on Twitter
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
Friday, 23.00, BBC Radio 4 Extra
The fact this programme is being repeated was a news story on Media Guardian the other day, seemingly based on someone reading the Radio Times and spotting it, though they did a better job than we did because it actually started last week and we didn’t notice. It’s the first repeat this side of the millennium and, you’ll note, rather earlier than the original broadcast, though we hear it’s only a five part series because there are contractual complications over whether show six, the one that famously got faded out after fifteen minutes, is actually a proper episode or not. Still, at least you can upgrade your mp3s of the other ones.
Subscribe to Creamguide
Points of View
- In '4) “Your tone is antagonistic and you’re making me very angry!”', Richard Davies says: "I recently rewatched The Day Today & this is one of the funnier moments,..."
- In 'Water Margin, The', IanW1968 says: "aah ha sa chaa naa eeee!"
- In 'Man About the House', IanW1968 says: "I just watched all of the 4th, 5th and 6th series on youtube, it’s still brilliant. Robin’s buying a piano off Roper. Robin:..."
- In '4) “Your tone is antagonistic and you’re making me very angry!”', Alan B says: "Surely nobody has ever looked at rolling news with anything other than contempt..."
- In '24) “What kind of a thing is happening here?”', neu75 says: "The very best bit is the England bench’s reaction to the equaliser against Poland. Priceless…"