FUZZED-UP sideburned sparky pop fun from a trio of hyperactive youngsters who seemed to have worked out everything that was great about Cream-era pop and bashed it out in a collection of rapid-fire punky pop-splurge Buzzcocks-meet-Pistols-meet-Madness-meet-Syd’s-Floyd-meet-Bowie-meet-Beach-Boys-meet-Eurotrash-theme thrills. Seemingly beamed in from a universe where ‘quallidy pop’ never happened, Gaz, Danny and Mickey were the toast of 1995 and rightly so; not only were they immeasurably better than any of their Britpop peers (yes, including Oasis and – at least in their circa-The Great Escape incarnation – Blur) and therefore by association enormously more exciting than anything else around at the time, they also made a rather corking album to boot. There’s the surprisingly large hit singles quotient (Caught By The Fuzz, Mansize Rooster, Lenny, Alright, and we’re counting Time and Lose It as well round here thank you very much), the manic singalongs (I’d Like To Know, Strange Ones, She’s So Loose), the are-they-for-real? jokiness (Sitting Up Straight, Time To Go), the lovelorn epic (Sofa (Of My Lethargy)), and the downright oddness (We’re Not Supposed To, and all that “Igor! I can’t find you…” business) that suggested they’d spent a little too long poking around the more unhinged corners of their local independent record shop. For so many reasons it couldn’t last, of course, but even then Supergrass defied all logic and expectation by getting better and better as their star steadily but very very slowly faded.
New! From K-Tel!
TVC on Twitter
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
Packets, packets and more packets this week as we head to the seventies, where convenience was king whether you boiled it in the bag, added water or froze it, so we can look forward to a host of evocative brand names and packaging getting an airing tonight. It’s not all crap, though, because we’re also got the rise and rise of health food and self-sufficiency.
Subscribe to Creamguide!
Points of View
- In '“It’s a bad programme, and it’s yours”', Richard16378 says: "The local news being extended allowed some of the more off-beat features to included, but only in..."
- In '“It’s a bad programme, and it’s yours”', Damon says: "Loved the music and graphics though. Very 80s and cool. I demand a return to Nationwide at 5:55 after..."
- In 'CBTV', Damon says: "Wow has no one else responded to this page since me in 2010? I dispute the dates incidentally, I think it went on until at least 1984 or 1985"
- In 'Three Up Two Down', THX 1139 says: "Watched the last ever episode to see if Mike and Ange got it together, and right enough they had obviously just heard they weren’t getting..."
- In 'Red Hand Gang, The', THX 1139 says: "The legendary James Bond III went on to direct and star his own horror movie, called Def by Temptation. Why yes, it was made in the 90s. I rented..."