When Bernard Cribbins, the voice of Buzby – a straggly, phone pole-dwelling cartoon canary in personalised vest – phoned his mum to tell her she was on telly, a nationalised industry dipped its toe into the heady world of merchandise. plush toys, stickers, combs, necklaces and badges sprang up. Buses and Commer vans carried his image everywhere. Buzby’s adventures appeared in TV Comic and picture books detailing his laddish antics (‘Buzby’s Rock Group‘, ‘Buzby’s Girlfriend’). There was even an abortive attempt to privatise the company with the issue of ‘Buzby Bonds’. It all got a bit much, and he was eventually replaced with the less omnipresent (though more annoying) ‘It’s for you-hoo!’ campaign.
TVC on Twitter
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
What more suitable programming for this evening? Used to be that goth was the most unfashionable genre of music you could get, but in recent years quite a lot of it has become assimilated into mainstream pop. We’re mostly talking imperial phase here, though, a la The Mission and Bauhaus.
Subscribe to Creamguide
Points of View
- In 'Creamvote #1 The most unforgettable political show theme!', Neu 75 says: "Weekend World – a proper theme tune to a proper politics show when it really was politics!"
- In 'Creamvote #1 The most unforgettable political show theme!', Paul Pensom says: "Aaah Nantucket Sleigh Ride, AKA ‘the one everybody confuses with World In Action’. Both..."
- In 'Houseparty', David Leeming says: "I was brought up loving the Houseparty ladies,Cherry, Sylvia, Anne, and dear Lucy became true friends..I was in a few Saturday morning tv shows made..."
- In 'Steptoe and Son', Paul Murphy says: "The best sitcom ever bar none."
- In 'Don’t Drink the Water', Paul Murphy says: "Pat Coombs was his sister not his missus in dont drink the water."