When Bernard Cribbins, the voice of Buzby – a straggly, phone pole-dwelling cartoon canary in personalised vest – phoned his mum to tell her she was on telly, a nationalised industry dipped its toe into the heady world of merchandise. plush toys, stickers, combs, necklaces and badges sprang up. Buses and Commer vans carried his image everywhere. Buzby’s adventures appeared in TV Comic and picture books detailing his laddish antics (‘Buzby’s Rock Group‘, ‘Buzby’s Girlfriend’). There was even an abortive attempt to privatise the company with the issue of ‘Buzby Bonds’. It all got a bit much, and he was eventually replaced with the less omnipresent (though more annoying) ‘It’s for you-hoo!’ campaign.
TVC on Twitter
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
Back to 1983 this week to relive Melvyn’s encounter with David Hockney, and then if you stick with this channel you can see another vintage interview with the great man, although with the level of research you’ve come to expect from Creamguide, we’re afraid we haven’t got a clue when that one’s from.
Subscribe to Creamguide
Points of View
- In 'In One Ear', Richard Davies says: "She seemed to turn up in things well into the 1990s, not seen much since the mid 1990s revival of Going For a Song."
- In 'Yugo', Richard16378 says: "The quote is from Dragnet."
- In '‘Words’ by FR David', Morgan says: "Always known as the Constipation Song in our house “….turds don’t come easy to me.” I’m here all week..."
- In 'Yugo', Morgan says: "An easy ten points if you can name the film this reasonably priced automobile starred in? Here is a massive clue: Sgt. Joe Friday narrating: “After losing..."
- In 'Colin’s Sandwich', THX 1139 says: "Watching this again recently, I’d forgotten how frustrating it was with Colin his own worst enemy, procrastinating, losing faith in..."