You remember the one. It featured a load of hungry builders in the back of a van, singing the immortal lines, to the tune of ‘Que Sera Sera’, ‘will it be chips or jacket spuds/will it be salad or frozen peas/will it be mushrooms/fried onion rings/you’ll have to wait and see/hope it’s chips it’s chips/we hope it’s chips.’ Yes, what a great advert for McCain Oven Chips that was. except, in a baffling case of mass delusion, everyone’s now forgotten that the commercial was, in fact, for Steakhouse Grills, presumably on the basis that seeing as they were singing about chips, they must have been advertising chips.
TVC on Twitter
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
This time last year we were paying tribute to Mel Smith and sadly this Christmas we’re remembering another comic icon whose shattering death at far too young an age was one of the saddest stories of the year. It’s not too much of an exaggeration to say that Rik was possibly the most influential comedy star of the past thirty years, absolutely at the vanguard of the alternative comedy movement and a massive inspiration to virtually all those that followed. Among those paying tribute are Alexei Sayle and Michael Palin but not Ade who doesn’t want to. And to make it an extra special tribute, the Young Ones repeat after is the full 35 minutes and not one of those dodgy half hour edits we’ve seen in recent years.
Subscribe to Creamguide
Points of View
- In 'Words and Pictures', ange says: "Thank you so much Halloween Pumpkin! I thought I would check on this site, not really expecting for someone to have uploaded the pumpkin story after..."
- In 'It’s the double-sized Christmas Creamguide number 2014!', Alan B says: "Huzzah! Huzzah! … Huzzah!"
- In 'The six best Christmas TV Times covers', Alan B says: "The Minder one is very reminiscent of Computer And Video Games covers of the same era."
- In 'PICK OF THE DAY', Applemask says: "When Blue Peter dies, a part of Britain dies with it. Talking of Advent Crowns, you didn’t even put any snow on the logo this year. What is..."
- In 'Treasure Houses', Narrowboat says: "It wasn’t just Stately Homes! There was also a programme on the Canals…. “You may wonder what I am doing here, without a Museum..."