You remember the one. It featured a load of hungry builders in the back of a van, singing the immortal lines, to the tune of ‘Que Sera Sera’, ‘will it be chips or jacket spuds/will it be salad or frozen peas/will it be mushrooms/fried onion rings/you’ll have to wait and see/hope it’s chips it’s chips/we hope it’s chips.’ Yes, what a great advert for McCain Oven Chips that was. except, in a baffling case of mass delusion, everyone’s now forgotten that the commercial was, in fact, for Steakhouse Grills, presumably on the basis that seeing as they were singing about chips, they must have been advertising chips.
TVC on Twitter
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
Back to 1983 this week to relive Melvyn’s encounter with David Hockney, and then if you stick with this channel you can see another vintage interview with the great man, although with the level of research you’ve come to expect from Creamguide, we’re afraid we haven’t got a clue when that one’s from.
Subscribe to Creamguide
Points of View
- In 'In One Ear', Richard Davies says: "She seemed to turn up in things well into the 1990s, not seen much since the mid 1990s revival of Going For a Song."
- In 'Yugo', Richard16378 says: "The quote is from Dragnet."
- In '‘Words’ by FR David', Morgan says: "Always known as the Constipation Song in our house “….turds don’t come easy to me.” I’m here all week..."
- In 'Yugo', Morgan says: "An easy ten points if you can name the film this reasonably priced automobile starred in? Here is a massive clue: Sgt. Joe Friday narrating: “After losing..."
- In 'Colin’s Sandwich', THX 1139 says: "Watching this again recently, I’d forgotten how frustrating it was with Colin his own worst enemy, procrastinating, losing faith in..."