You remember the one. It featured a load of hungry builders in the back of a van, singing the immortal lines, to the tune of ‘Que Sera Sera’, ‘will it be chips or jacket spuds/will it be salad or frozen peas/will it be mushrooms/fried onion rings/you’ll have to wait and see/hope it’s chips it’s chips/we hope it’s chips.’ Yes, what a great advert for McCain Oven Chips that was. except, in a baffling case of mass delusion, everyone’s now forgotten that the commercial was, in fact, for Steakhouse Grills, presumably on the basis that seeing as they were singing about chips, they must have been advertising chips.
New! From K-Tel!
TVC on Twitter
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
These days we’re all used to double and even triple bills of live football most Sundays but back in 1990 the idea of watching two live domestic games in one day was absolutely amazing, let alone those live games being FA Cup semi-finals which before than had never been shown live before (bar the special case of the previous year’s post-Hillsborough match between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest). Then to top it all, the two games turned out to be among the most exciting in the history of the competition, as we’ll see here.
Subscribe to Creamguide!
Points of View
- In 'Grange Hill', Graham Pearson says: "I recall watching the episode in which Gripper was finally expelled for a grim catalogue of bullying, harassment and demanding money with menaces...."
- In 'PICK OF THE DAY', Andrew Dexter says: "I also seem to recall the announcement of Karl Wallenda’s death on Blue Peter in March 1978, they did indeed show the clip, quite..."
- In 'Crackerjack', jabberwocky says: "This isn’t the first time I’ve come across an article on here purporting to be amusing, but isn’t. Where does TV Cream get..."
- In 'Maths-In-A-Box', Matthew says: "Is there anywhere we can see clips from this? I can find any on YouTube!!"
- In 'PICK OF THE DAY', Richard16378 says: "Great news, I wonder if they will dig out Dear John next."