Harrison Ford gets milking in this often-scheduled Amish thriller, which allows us once again to ponder exactly how Kelly McGillis, here still in the ascendant, managed to lose it so spectacularly by the end of the decade. Likewise that other ’80s Kelly, LeBrock, who was all over the media (not to mention Wogan) after The Woman in Red but has spent her post-Weird Science career in such non-fare as Hard Bounty delivering lines like “There’s only two things I can’t do – one is make love to a woman, the other is piss up a wall.” Edifying. Then there’s Emily ‘Trigger’s daughter’ Lloyd, Tatum O’Neal, all the Coreys, and any number of Brat Packers, although we won’t hear a word said against Ally Sheedy. Barry Newman (Vanishing Point, Petrocelli, er… King Crab) and, naturally, Mickey ‘from Diner to Get Carter 2000′ Rourke, pretty much fit the exponential career dive graph, as did Rita ‘Knack’ Tushingham the day she set foot on the set of Bread. Sally Field faltered at the post-Smokey and the Bandit fence, as did pretty much everyone namechecked in the Fall Guy theme song, apart from Cheryl Tiegs who was never a star in the first place. Saddest of all, two Cream legends, Patrick ‘Babe, Secret of the Lost Legend’ McGoohan and Malcolm ‘Biker Mice from Mars’ McDowell, had their post-’70s screen careers seriously clipped, while William Shatner continues to pack ‘em in. Something’s wrong there.
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
It always amuses us when we see clips of Double Your Money and notice the category board includes both “jazz (traditional)” and “jazz (modern)”, though it is true that at that point trad really was big news, the nascent Pick of the Pops spinning off from Trad Tavern being just one example of its hold on the nation’s teens in the early sixties, despite it being influenced by music some forty years old at the time.
Subscribe to Creamguide
Points of View
- In 'Who Pays the Ferryman?', Applemask says: "DON’T EVEN FIX A PRICE"
- In 'Wheeltappers and Shunters Social Club, The', Applemask says: "Clarification: Manning wasn’t deceased at the time"
- In 'Walter', Applemask says: "Made a great statement of intent for launch night. Had a sequel a year later in which Sabrina absconds with Sarah Miles, tries to exist in real world,..."
- In 'Wacky Races', Applemask says: "Attempted revival as Fender Bender 5000 in the nineties failed due to lack of Anthill Mob and Penelope Pitstop, addition of the likes of Yogi Bear,..."
- In 'The Official Doctor Who Fan Club returns', Applemask says: "Why is Doctor Who’s status as a children’s show so important to you?"