ACE breathily passionate female sung “1! 9! 4! Radio Ciiiiiii-tteeeee!” heralded those Hatton’n'Dalglish-centric news bulletins for donkey’s years. Lion’s share of the actual content, though massively popular, has whizzed into cultural history in a blur of enthusing over China Crisis. Nonetheless, listeners all over the globe hungrily hunt down shows from the time when Pete Waterman hosted late eighties Saturday morning caffeine-pop showcase (heavy on the Kylie and Sinitta, unsurprisingly), whence came The Reynolds Girls and Sonia, and other ace shows included Tony Snell’s evening indie sequence, which once featured NME football favourite Pat Nevin on holiday deputisation stint: “mumble mumble…this is The Sugarcubes”. Relevance to city’s cultural firmament long since eroded but still pulls in the punters, now broadcast from the top of Tripods-esque defunct revolving nightmare the erstwhile ‘Tower Restaurant’.
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
A full house for your PoV bingo card last week with this series’ first suggestion of launching a BBC sport channel, yet again failing to explain why they wouldn’t then launch a BBC soap channel, comedy channel and everything else, and then just have a blank screen on BBC1 for most of the day. Now we’ve covered the bases, not sure where this run has left to go.
Subscribe to Creamguide
Points of View
- In 'PICK OF THE DAY', Gerry Dorrian says: "I don’t object to what the BBC wants to do, I merely object to being forced to pay through the nose to fund it with next to no say on its..."
- In 'Knowing Me, Knowing You… With Alan Partridge', Applemask says: "It’s happening. Deal with it."
- In 'The Collins Cream-ish Dictionary', Paul Bovey says: "Apparently, the “Hah, huh…hoouurgh” in ‘Mama’ was ‘influenced’ by Melle Mel’s cackle in the..."
- In 'Ripcord', Lina B. Umpierre says: "I’m so glad TGG’s bringing the two seasons of “Ripcord” on DVD sets for sale that I’ll jump for joy! Geronimo!"
- In 'Organist Entertains, The', Applemask says: "I didn’t know Nigel Ogden was Metalunan. His show’s still piss-irritating though."