It’s the one with the beauty show as Sid James cajoles the Frinton-on-Sea council into staging their own event to boost tourism in the teeth of opposition from June Whitfield and her comedy feminist cohorts. No Kenneth Williams here but leering admirably are Peter Butterworth, Jack Douglas, Robin Askwith and Kenneth Connor. Disapproving looks provided courtesy of Joan Sims and Patsy Rowlands, with Jimmy Logan doing his frankly disturbing camp schtick again and Barbara Windsor as Miss Easy Rider. Most notable of course is Bernard ‘I could eat a sandwich’ Bresslaw in drag. One minute a Cyclops in Krull, the next a woman in this: nobody credited him with this versatility when he was alive, you know.
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor tonight, which allows us to mention that when it got to number one, Calendar showed a clip from its Whistle Test-inspired video and captioned it “amateur video”. In fact that video was the first we’d heard of them or it, when it was shown on Popworld in fact, and we never thought the record version was quite as good because it was a bit overproduced. Anyway, it’s included here because it started bands being broken via the internet and that rather than the major labels and Top of the Pops.
Subscribe to Creamguide
Points of View
- In 'Sixty Minutes', Applemask says: "Complete failure on the graphic designers’ part to make the letter S look like the number 60."
- In 'Xerxes', Applemask says: "Xerxes himself is now the founding leader of the pro-prohibition Liquor Party, who came thirteenth in the last Swedish General Election. Good fact."
- In 'Jonny Briggs', Applemask says: "Could never understand a word these Northern people were saying. Nothing to do with Mike Baldwin either."
- In 'Jimmy Will Fix It', Applemask says: "Jim’ll Fuck It"
- In 'PICK OF THE DAY', Gerry Dorrian says: "He was a classic on TotP with the girls, wasn’t he?"