NED SHERRIN-led roundtable arts discussion pot-pourri which initially threw together unlikely combinations of semi-regulars including Stephen Fry (as ‘Dr Donald Trefusis’), John Walters, Richard Jobson, Emma Freud, Craig Charles, Samantha Fox, Jonathan Ross, Pip Dann, Robert Elms, Carol Thatcher, Alan Bennett, and anyone else who could throw together three or four words on the popularity of EastEnders or the latest Mike Leigh film, while over in the corner Victor Lewis-Smith fired off breakneck speed tape-wind-festooned listener-scaring reports on whatever took his fancy. Caused several unexpected outrages, not least over Fry’s celebrated rant about ‘parent power’, Elms shouting at someone who sniffed at graphic novels, and Lewis-Smith’s accidental invention of the ‘Master Bates, Seaman Staines and Roger The Cabin Boy’ myth. Still going under the watchful eye of Clive Anderson but, with most of its oddball regulars long since gone, largely degenerated into PR puff-piece parking lot for anyone with a book to plug.Read More
TVC on Twitter
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
We’ve lost interest in these in recent years, not just because we find Jonathan Ross totally insufferable and because so much current comedy is pretty rubbish, but also because part of the appeal used to be the chance to see clips of Stewart Lee and Simon Amstell on primetime ITV. Not quite so exciting now it’s on such a self-consciously alternative channel, but here they plough on anyway.
Subscribe to Creamguide
Points of View
- In '41) “Comes with a free Catherine wheel!”', Richard16378 says: "These were great, & it helped that nostalga for the 1970s was big at the time it was made, so a..."
- In '54) “The drawings were by Valerie Pye!” ', Richard16378 says: "I admit to studying end credits, not just for who appearred in front of the camera. Puzzling over what jobs..."
- In 'Bottom Line, The', Richard16378 says: "I remember Danny Baker tried to have it put in Room 101 & ended up having to take a box set of it home with him!"
- In 'Duncan Dares', Richard16378 says: "I remember he also tried being a truck racer & a tight rope walker. There was a spin-off book with write up of some episodes, complete with a..."
- In 'Duncan Dares', Chris says: "Copy of Duncan dares as a firefighter"