NED SHERRIN-led roundtable arts discussion pot-pourri which initially threw together unlikely combinations of semi-regulars including Stephen Fry (as ‘Dr Donald Trefusis’), John Walters, Richard Jobson, Emma Freud, Craig Charles, Samantha Fox, Jonathan Ross, Pip Dann, Robert Elms, Carol Thatcher, Alan Bennett, and anyone else who could throw together three or four words on the popularity of EastEnders or the latest Mike Leigh film, while over in the corner Victor Lewis-Smith fired off breakneck speed tape-wind-festooned listener-scaring reports on whatever took his fancy. Caused several unexpected outrages, not least over Fry’s celebrated rant about ‘parent power’, Elms shouting at someone who sniffed at graphic novels, and Lewis-Smith’s accidental invention of the ‘Master Bates, Seaman Staines and Roger The Cabin Boy’ myth. Still going under the watchful eye of Clive Anderson but, with most of its oddball regulars long since gone, largely degenerated into PR puff-piece parking lot for anyone with a book to plug.Read More
New! From K-Tel!
TVC on Twitter
Subscribe to Creamguide!
Points of View
- In 'Saturday Mornings', firstname.lastname@example.org says: "Just a minor comment to point out that LWT were running “Saturday Scene” in the mid to late 70’s, hosted by Sally James...."
- In 'In at the Deep End', droogie says: "I vividly remember the Heiny episode when he tried comedy. The poor sod didn’t stand a chance. He had a rotten 5 minute routine written for..."
- In 'District Nurse, The', Glenn Aylett says: "@ Richard 16378 There’s been an accident at the pit, Nurse Roberts, or Myfanwy’s got rickets, not as easy going as All Creatures..."
- In 'What We Just Watched – Episode Two', THX 1139 says: "The juror’s note gag is pretty ancient, I’m fairly sure Benny Hill and Dave Allen used it too."
- In 'Cheviot, the Stag and the Black, Black Oil, The ', Russell Cowe says: "“The Cheviot the Stag and the Black Black Oil” will be released on Blu-ray later this year,..."