HANNA AND BARBERA venture into live action, but this appalling Antipodean Dynasty rip-off was no Banana Splits. Derided mini-series best known for REBECCA GILLING fighting an obviously rubber crocodile in a billabong. Show then got revived two years later as a much longer soap opera taking up the story seven years on. Original concept was camped up with a large dose of humour completely missed by its broadsheet critics who declared it a new low in TV drama. Every soap cliche in the book (plastic surgery, fake deaths, lovers discovering they’re siblings etc) tossed in as the plot got more outrageous by the week. The stars were the two villains: Jake, the original villain’s never previously mentioned brother (DANIEL ABINERI) and REBECCA GILLING’s treacherous friend now revealed as her half-sister Jilly,re-cast in a stroke of genius as the gorgeous PETA “Karen Travers from Prisoner” TOPPANO who played her as a spiteful child in a woman’s body.
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
Second part of this, where our hero moves slightly more towards the mainstream and starts penning film soundtracks, including the likes of Flashdance and Top Gun, plus of course The Never Ending Story which means we get to enjoy Limahl nestling alongside the rest of the heavyweight contributors, plus another film where his soundtrack is probably about a hundred times more famous now than the actual film. It’s the title of this programme, for a start.
Subscribe to Creamguide
Points of View
- In 'PICK OF THE DAY', Gerry Dorrian says: "I don’t object to what the BBC wants to do, I merely object to being forced to pay through the nose to fund it with next to no say on its..."
- In 'Knowing Me, Knowing You… With Alan Partridge', Applemask says: "It’s happening. Deal with it."
- In 'The Collins Cream-ish Dictionary', Paul Bovey says: "Apparently, the “Hah, huh…hoouurgh” in ‘Mama’ was ‘influenced’ by Melle Mel’s cackle in the..."
- In 'Ripcord', Lina B. Umpierre says: "I’m so glad TGG’s bringing the two seasons of “Ripcord” on DVD sets for sale that I’ll jump for joy! Geronimo!"
- In 'Organist Entertains, The', Applemask says: "I didn’t know Nigel Ogden was Metalunan. His show’s still piss-irritating though."