AGIT-PROP indie-gospel Thatcher-baiting that wasn’t afraid to fall over on Wacaday. For the briefest of pop moments, a bunch of overgrown students in shabby jumpers somehow emerged through the radio twilight zone of John Peel/Janice Long endorsement to become the nation’s favourite chart-toppers, perplexingly acquiring a zany cuddly image despite singing Blue Peter-baiting songs about shooting bankers, monarch-instigated throttling, and, erm, turning pigs upside down. All the unexpectedly-Wogan-appearance-generating hits were present and correct on the Fourth Best Band In Hull’s ‘Quite Good’ debut (although – completists take note – Flag Day and Think For A Minute! both appeared in ‘different’ versions) alongside loads more piano-pounding jangly guitar leftism and a couple of Comedy Bit In Jossy’s Giants-friendly instrumentals, which defied its Red Wedge-rabble-rousing origins to become the must-have for those AntiApartheid badge-sporting youngsters who were wont to, well, think for a minute, and eventually to sit alongside Graceland in the swankiest of habitat-furnished chrome-and-black pads in ‘the city’, doubtless helped on its way by the mock-vintage stylings of the tastefully tinted sleeve.
TVC on Twitter
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
This repeat run’ll be going some if we get to see Andy Peebles present a regular episode of this show again because that won’t be until February 2018. He didn’t get much more exciting while he was away either. We’ve now skipped a week, which unfortunately means ITV are now back on the air and never again will nearly twenty million people be exposed to Cats UK and Errol Dunkley, and also unfortunately means we’ve missed the week Buggles are number one and we end up with a line-up quite similar to the Peebles episode, though at least it means another outing for that brilliantly stupid Dooleys song. Some new stuff around, though, including Pete’s hair and a particularly, er, interesting new release.
Subscribe to Creamguide
Points of View
- In 'Zokko', Andy says: "Glad some other folks recall this. I’m not going insane! I seem to remember the American pied piper guy being on Zokko, but wasn’t it called “Mr..."
- In '7) “The skeleton of… a chicken!”', Glenn A says: "Nuclear war was a big topic then, a year earlier The Old Men At The Zoo featured a nuclear attack and around the..."
- In 'Bob’s Full House', David Paul Morgan says: "I too have been looking for the Christmas 1989 show. Paul here. just saw L-Boakes comment. I will have another look in my boxes and..."
- In 'Creamvote #1 The most unforgettable political show theme!', Old Applejack says: "It’s a tough job and I salute you all for doing it. Surely you’re not going to limit the..."
- In 'Ludwig', Arlo Barlow says: "I hate to be pedantic, but it was the hallowed five minutes before the 5.45 PM BBC news, THEN Nationwide. I’m pretty sure it was an intentional way..."