AGIT-PROP indie-gospel Thatcher-baiting that wasn’t afraid to fall over on Wacaday. For the briefest of pop moments, a bunch of overgrown students in shabby jumpers somehow emerged through the radio twilight zone of John Peel/Janice Long endorsement to become the nation’s favourite chart-toppers, perplexingly acquiring a zany cuddly image despite singing Blue Peter-baiting songs about shooting bankers, monarch-instigated throttling, and, erm, turning pigs upside down. All the unexpectedly-Wogan-appearance-generating hits were present and correct on the Fourth Best Band In Hull’s ‘Quite Good’ debut (although – completists take note – Flag Day and Think For A Minute! both appeared in ‘different’ versions) alongside loads more piano-pounding jangly guitar leftism and a couple of Comedy Bit In Jossy’s Giants-friendly instrumentals, which defied its Red Wedge-rabble-rousing origins to become the must-have for those AntiApartheid badge-sporting youngsters who were wont to, well, think for a minute, and eventually to sit alongside Graceland in the swankiest of habitat-furnished chrome-and-black pads in ‘the city’, doubtless helped on its way by the mock-vintage stylings of the tastefully tinted sleeve.
New! From K-Tel!
TVC on Twitter
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
Packets, packets and more packets this week as we head to the seventies, where convenience was king whether you boiled it in the bag, added water or froze it, so we can look forward to a host of evocative brand names and packaging getting an airing tonight. It’s not all crap, though, because we’re also got the rise and rise of health food and self-sufficiency.
Subscribe to Creamguide!
Points of View
- In '“It’s a bad programme, and it’s yours”', Richard16378 says: "The local news being extended allowed some of the more off-beat features to included, but only in..."
- In '“It’s a bad programme, and it’s yours”', Damon says: "Loved the music and graphics though. Very 80s and cool. I demand a return to Nationwide at 5:55 after..."
- In 'CBTV', Damon says: "Wow has no one else responded to this page since me in 2010? I dispute the dates incidentally, I think it went on until at least 1984 or 1985"
- In 'Three Up Two Down', THX 1139 says: "Watched the last ever episode to see if Mike and Ange got it together, and right enough they had obviously just heard they weren’t getting..."
- In 'Red Hand Gang, The', THX 1139 says: "The legendary James Bond III went on to direct and star his own horror movie, called Def by Temptation. Why yes, it was made in the 90s. I rented..."