AGIT-PROP indie-gospel Thatcher-baiting that wasn’t afraid to fall over on Wacaday. For the briefest of pop moments, a bunch of overgrown students in shabby jumpers somehow emerged through the radio twilight zone of John Peel/Janice Long endorsement to become the nation’s favourite chart-toppers, perplexingly acquiring a zany cuddly image despite singing Blue Peter-baiting songs about shooting bankers, monarch-instigated throttling, and, erm, turning pigs upside down. All the unexpectedly-Wogan-appearance-generating hits were present and correct on the Fourth Best Band In Hull’s ‘Quite Good’ debut (although – completists take note – Flag Day and Think For A Minute! both appeared in ‘different’ versions) alongside loads more piano-pounding jangly guitar leftism and a couple of Comedy Bit In Jossy’s Giants-friendly instrumentals, which defied its Red Wedge-rabble-rousing origins to become the must-have for those AntiApartheid badge-sporting youngsters who were wont to, well, think for a minute, and eventually to sit alongside Graceland in the swankiest of habitat-furnished chrome-and-black pads in ‘the city’, doubtless helped on its way by the mock-vintage stylings of the tastefully tinted sleeve.
TVC on Twitter
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
It used to be that everyone in Britain went to the same place on holiday every year, and certainly Creamguide did that with its annual jaunts to Conwy in North Wales, where we had many happy times, though the other Christmas we nipped back for old time’s sakes and were amazed we exhausted the town centre in half an hour, and heaven knows how we used to get a week out of it. In this series Len will be taking a celebrity back to some old haunts, every day at this time, kicking off with Dave Myers on the Isle of Man.
Subscribe to Creamguide
Points of View
- In 'Six English Towns/Six More English Towns/Another Bloody Six English Towns', Graham says: "Alec was born in 1907 and died in 1985 at the age of 77. He was a great historian and the..."
- In 'PICK OF THE DAY', Richard16378 says: "I’ve also noticed ELO have gone from being written off as Dadrock to much better acclaim in the last 10-15 years. It would be nice if..."
- In 'Graham’s Gang', Dristarg says: "The ‘Inbetweeners’ of its day."
- In 'Taggart', THX 1139 says: "As was often pointed out, how did Jim Taggart get onto the force in the first place when he was only five feet tall?"
- In 'Taggart', Scott McPhee says: "I’ve been enjoying watching reruns of Taggart, as they are shown on late night television here. My favorite character was DI Robert..."