“HELLO, I’M CASEY KASEM,” beamed the garishly-sweatered host at the start of this imported Billboard countdown-cum-cheap syndicated overnight time filler, standing behind a director’s chair, sweeping his arm and clenching his fist in a matey fashion. More famous in this country as the voice of Shaggy (“like, make with the club sandwich with an olive in the top, Scoob, while I hide from the janitor in the vampire costume!”), the Kase soon became a familiar face to post-pub revellers over here, although it’s said that AT10 was the pawn in a game for bored ITV regional schedulers, who attempted to place it at a different time every week. Music largely risible: the likes of Atlantic Starr, Starship, “…aaand from Shrews-burry, England, at number eight with China In Your Hand, it’s T’Pau!” There was always a dreary trivia question at the end too, usually sent in from poor fat sod watching the show on WXKZ or something. Sadly, the Kase’s all-time classic quote concerning U2 never made it to air: “The band members are Bono on vocals, lead guitarist Dave Evans, nicknamed The Edge, and – oh, this is bullshit. These guys are from England and who gives a shit?” You tell ‘em, jumperboy.
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
Doubtless Sky Arts have shown this a thousand times, and probably another channel before that, but we’re a bit quiet this week so it gets in. It’s Bing with all his mates, including Dino and Frank and Bob and of course Dame David, suitably seasonal for this time of year. We don’t know if it’s got him being impressed by Pan’s People, though.
Subscribe to Creamguide
Points of View
- In 'PICK OF THE DAY', Gerry Dorrian says: "He was a classic on TotP with the girls, wasn’t he?"
- In 'Bread', Richard16378 says: "I was too young too see the first series but certainly remember it from the 2nd onwards. It seemed OK upto the Xmas special in Rome, but from the series..."
- In 'Bread', Applemask says: "Not COMPLETELY worthless, as it represented something close to genuine working-class life in the midst of Thatcher’s imperial phase. I have a lot of..."
- In 'PICK OF THE DAY', Gerry Dorrian says: "“The Never Ending Story” is still one of my favourite songs and the video for the hit is brilliant. Pity Limahl had to get a female..."
- In 'Trimphone impersonators', RiotSloth says: "Of course, perhaps the most famous Trimphone imitator is a personal hero of mine, Ed Reardon…"