Semi-clad female aliens cavort in and out of increasingly outlandish Pop Art sets. It’s a capsule description of well-loved Jane Fonda camp-out Barbarella – and also this rather less cared-for Tigon production, give or take a few odd things. Those few odd things are: veteran actress Dawn Addams and ubiquitous screen siren Valerie Leon as the heads of a gang of alien dominatrixes in saucy underwear who are kidnapping strippers by bundling them into a sack and hauling them off in an intergalactic removals lorry; and, as the hapless Earth duo out to foil the topless invaders, none other than James Robertson Justice and Charles Hawtrey. The spectacle of these two rent-paying Britcom stalwarts trying to cut it as the heads of an anti-bare-breasted Amazon insurgency, torturing topless girls, looking tired and thinking of the money in various Bacofoil-bedecked locations is, well, otherworldly.
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor tonight, which allows us to mention that when it got to number one, Calendar showed a clip from its Whistle Test-inspired video and captioned it “amateur video”. In fact that video was the first we’d heard of them or it, when it was shown on Popworld in fact, and we never thought the record version was quite as good because it was a bit overproduced. Anyway, it’s included here because it started bands being broken via the internet and that rather than the major labels and Top of the Pops.
Subscribe to Creamguide
Points of View
- In 'Sixty Minutes', Applemask says: "Complete failure on the graphic designers’ part to make the letter S look like the number 60."
- In 'Xerxes', Applemask says: "Xerxes himself is now the founding leader of the pro-prohibition Liquor Party, who came thirteenth in the last Swedish General Election. Good fact."
- In 'Jonny Briggs', Applemask says: "Could never understand a word these Northern people were saying. Nothing to do with Mike Baldwin either."
- In 'Jimmy Will Fix It', Applemask says: "Jim’ll Fuck It"
- In 'PICK OF THE DAY', Gerry Dorrian says: "He was a classic on TotP with the girls, wasn’t he?"