SHORT-LIVED gap in the market-spotting from one Richard Branson, offering an overnight ‘sustain service’ for those impoverished local commercial stations that had to shut down at bedtime, with the exciting and new likes of Ruby Wax, Jonathan Ross and, erm, Steve ‘Interesting’ Davis entertaining late-night listeners (usually with one Chris Evans in the producer’s chair). Ground to a halt when purchasers realised they could save money and fill the gap by paying some eager-to-please newcomer next-to-nothing to present a ‘Love Zone’ made up of that Dan Fogleberg record and requests for ‘Jenny listening in Stockport there’.Read More
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
For the first time in a while, two consecutive episodes, so it’s a completely different line-up to the last time and some belated debuts for Ian Dury and Sham 69 who we’d have otherwise seen two weeks ago, in a classic Pops juxtaposition with another Cilla flop and the first appearance of a record that, even skipping all the Savile and Travis episodes, you’re going to hear a hell of lot over the next few months.
Subscribe to Creamguide
Points of View
- In 'Sixty Minutes', Applemask says: "Complete failure on the graphic designers’ part to make the letter S look like the number 60."
- In 'Xerxes', Applemask says: "Xerxes himself is now the founding leader of the pro-prohibition Liquor Party, who came thirteenth in the last Swedish General Election. Good fact."
- In 'Jonny Briggs', Applemask says: "Could never understand a word these Northern people were saying. Nothing to do with Mike Baldwin either."
- In 'Jimmy Will Fix It', Applemask says: "Jim’ll Fuck It"
- In 'PICK OF THE DAY', Gerry Dorrian says: "He was a classic on TotP with the girls, wasn’t he?"