SUBLIME filling of the popular-cultural no-man’s-land between Christmas Day and New Year’s Day with a set of short but charming mini-documentaries on a handful of erstwhile childrens’ TV favourites too old to still be ‘on’ but too recent to be properly nostalgised over yet: Tiswas, Play School, Vision On, the Smallfilms ouvre, Crackerjack, an odds-and-ends collection taking in Bill & Ben/Trumptonshire/Fingerbobs/Captain Pugwash/Mr Benn, and most infamously of all, a startling look back at the rivalry between Blue Peter and Magpie, peppered with guarded inter-presenter verbal barbs and hinting at all manner of shadowy The Fourth K-esque management power struggles behind the scenes. No wonder Noakes and Shep were so keen to ‘Go’! Packed to the ‘white void’ studio rafters with original contributors and bizarre anecdotes about stolen Teds, incinerated Mintons, foul-mouthed Clangers, New York taxi drivers shouting ‘COMPOST CORNER!’, ‘baby bump’-concealing scenery, Hamble-torture, Gilliam/Yellow Sumbarine-emulation, Leo Sayer fuming at theft of trademark ‘perm’, hypothermia-afflicted future Doctor Whos, backstage Play School joint-toking, and sticking two fingers up at Noel Edmonds, and with nary a second-rate standup doing that counting an imaginary ‘witty’ list off on their fingers thing in sight, this was – in a very real sense – what they want. Not to mention inspiring someone, somewhere to upload a handful of Fred Harris JPEGs…Read More
TVC on Twitter
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
This time last year we were paying tribute to Mel Smith and sadly this Christmas we’re remembering another comic icon whose shattering death at far too young an age was one of the saddest stories of the year. It’s not too much of an exaggeration to say that Rik was possibly the most influential comedy star of the past thirty years, absolutely at the vanguard of the alternative comedy movement and a massive inspiration to virtually all those that followed. Among those paying tribute are Alexei Sayle and Michael Palin but not Ade who doesn’t want to. And to make it an extra special tribute, the Young Ones repeat after is the full 35 minutes and not one of those dodgy half hour edits we’ve seen in recent years.
Subscribe to Creamguide
Points of View
- In 'Words and Pictures', ange says: "Thank you so much Halloween Pumpkin! I thought I would check on this site, not really expecting for someone to have uploaded the pumpkin story after..."
- In 'It’s the double-sized Christmas Creamguide number 2014!', Alan B says: "Huzzah! Huzzah! … Huzzah!"
- In 'The six best Christmas TV Times covers', Alan B says: "The Minder one is very reminiscent of Computer And Video Games covers of the same era."
- In 'PICK OF THE DAY', Applemask says: "When Blue Peter dies, a part of Britain dies with it. Talking of Advent Crowns, you didn’t even put any snow on the logo this year. What is..."
- In 'Treasure Houses', Narrowboat says: "It wasn’t just Stately Homes! There was also a programme on the Canals…. “You may wonder what I am doing here, without a Museum..."