SUBLIME filling of the popular-cultural no-man’s-land between Christmas Day and New Year’s Day with a set of short but charming mini-documentaries on a handful of erstwhile childrens’ TV favourites too old to still be ‘on’ but too recent to be properly nostalgised over yet: Tiswas, Play School, Vision On, the Smallfilms ouvre, Crackerjack, an odds-and-ends collection taking in Bill & Ben/Trumptonshire/Fingerbobs/Captain Pugwash/Mr Benn, and most infamously of all, a startling look back at the rivalry between Blue Peter and Magpie, peppered with guarded inter-presenter verbal barbs and hinting at all manner of shadowy The Fourth K-esque management power struggles behind the scenes. No wonder Noakes and Shep were so keen to ‘Go’! Packed to the ‘white void’ studio rafters with original contributors and bizarre anecdotes about stolen Teds, incinerated Mintons, foul-mouthed Clangers, New York taxi drivers shouting ‘COMPOST CORNER!’, ‘baby bump’-concealing scenery, Hamble-torture, Gilliam/Yellow Sumbarine-emulation, Leo Sayer fuming at theft of trademark ‘perm’, hypothermia-afflicted future Doctor Whos, backstage Play School joint-toking, and sticking two fingers up at Noel Edmonds, and with nary a second-rate standup doing that counting an imaginary ‘witty’ list off on their fingers thing in sight, this was – in a very real sense – what they want. Not to mention inspiring someone, somewhere to upload a handful of Fred Harris JPEGs…Read More
TVC on Twitter
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
This repeat run’ll be going some if we get to see Andy Peebles present a regular episode of this show again because that won’t be until February 2018. He didn’t get much more exciting while he was away either. We’ve now skipped a week, which unfortunately means ITV are now back on the air and never again will nearly twenty million people be exposed to Cats UK and Errol Dunkley, and also unfortunately means we’ve missed the week Buggles are number one and we end up with a line-up quite similar to the Peebles episode, though at least it means another outing for that brilliantly stupid Dooleys song. Some new stuff around, though, including Pete’s hair and a particularly, er, interesting new release.
Subscribe to Creamguide
Points of View
- In 'Zokko', Andy says: "Glad some other folks recall this. I’m not going insane! I seem to remember the American pied piper guy being on Zokko, but wasn’t it called “Mr..."
- In '7) “The skeleton of… a chicken!”', Glenn A says: "Nuclear war was a big topic then, a year earlier The Old Men At The Zoo featured a nuclear attack and around the..."
- In 'Bob’s Full House', David Paul Morgan says: "I too have been looking for the Christmas 1989 show. Paul here. just saw L-Boakes comment. I will have another look in my boxes and..."
- In 'Creamvote #1 The most unforgettable political show theme!', Old Applejack says: "It’s a tough job and I salute you all for doing it. Surely you’re not going to limit the..."
- In 'Ludwig', Arlo Barlow says: "I hate to be pedantic, but it was the hallowed five minutes before the 5.45 PM BBC news, THEN Nationwide. I’m pretty sure it was an intentional way..."