SUBLIME filling of the popular-cultural no-man’s-land between Christmas Day and New Year’s Day with a set of short but charming mini-documentaries on a handful of erstwhile childrens’ TV favourites too old to still be ‘on’ but too recent to be properly nostalgised over yet: Tiswas, Play School, Vision On, the Smallfilms ouvre, Crackerjack, an odds-and-ends collection taking in Bill & Ben/Trumptonshire/Fingerbobs/Captain Pugwash/Mr Benn, and most infamously of all, a startling look back at the rivalry between Blue Peter and Magpie, peppered with guarded inter-presenter verbal barbs and hinting at all manner of shadowy The Fourth K-esque management power struggles behind the scenes. No wonder Noakes and Shep were so keen to ‘Go’! Packed to the ‘white void’ studio rafters with original contributors and bizarre anecdotes about stolen Teds, incinerated Mintons, foul-mouthed Clangers, New York taxi drivers shouting ‘COMPOST CORNER!’, ‘baby bump’-concealing scenery, Hamble-torture, Gilliam/Yellow Sumbarine-emulation, Leo Sayer fuming at theft of trademark ‘perm’, hypothermia-afflicted future Doctor Whos, backstage Play School joint-toking, and sticking two fingers up at Noel Edmonds, and with nary a second-rate standup doing that counting an imaginary ‘witty’ list off on their fingers thing in sight, this was – in a very real sense – what they want. Not to mention inspiring someone, somewhere to upload a handful of Fred Harris JPEGs…Read More
New! From K-Tel!
TVC on Twitter
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
It’s thirty years to the week the Miners’ Strike ended, an occasion marked at the time by ITV devoting an entire Friday night to a three hour Weekend World special, which we doubt you’d get these days. The cultural side of the strike has been explored a couple of times and here’s Billy Brags with Jock Purdon, a former miner himself, and whose songs and verses took on extra resonance during the dispute.
Points of View
- In 'Zokko', Peter Coutts says: "I remember Zokko ,Skayne and the theme tune for the show which was the sort of catchy thing that drove you mad. After Zokko a very similar show with an..."
- In 'Tigris', THX 1139 says: "For years I thought I had watched the film of Kon-Tiki (the other famous Heyerdahl seafaring expedition) when I was a very small boy but when I finally saw..."
- In 'Juggernaut', Joeb says: "I always loved the bomb in the Rover biscuit tin. Classic. And I like the bit where the kid says the frogmen look like his Action Man."
- In 'Pale Rider ', Ian B says: "Just watched this on Blu-ray. Excellent film with the legend that is Clint Eastwood. Covers many themes and looks great."
- In 'Creamvote #14 The most unforgettable kids’ entertainment show theme', Applemask says: "I want to vote for “The 8.15 From Manchester” so bad it hurst, but I fear it..."