Ah, yet another slice of ’70s self-indulgence. Paul Mazursky, fresh from Bob and Carol and Ted and Alice success, follows it up with a film about a director (Donald Sutherland) who’s just had a great success and doesn’t know what to follow it up with. Fellini is, inevitably, invoked (and even turns up at one point, to do sod all). LSD is, equally inevitably, taken. Beaches are sat on. Clowns amble past. You know the score with this sort of film before it starts.Read More
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
For the first time in a while, two consecutive episodes, so it’s a completely different line-up to the last time and some belated debuts for Ian Dury and Sham 69 who we’d have otherwise seen two weeks ago, in a classic Pops juxtaposition with another Cilla flop and the first appearance of a record that, even skipping all the Savile and Travis episodes, you’re going to hear a hell of lot over the next few months.
Subscribe to Creamguide
Points of View
- In 'Sixty Minutes', Applemask says: "Complete failure on the graphic designers’ part to make the letter S look like the number 60."
- In 'Xerxes', Applemask says: "Xerxes himself is now the founding leader of the pro-prohibition Liquor Party, who came thirteenth in the last Swedish General Election. Good fact."
- In 'Jonny Briggs', Applemask says: "Could never understand a word these Northern people were saying. Nothing to do with Mike Baldwin either."
- In 'Jimmy Will Fix It', Applemask says: "Jim’ll Fuck It"
- In 'PICK OF THE DAY', Gerry Dorrian says: "He was a classic on TotP with the girls, wasn’t he?"