NED SHERRIN-led roundtable arts discussion pot-pourri which initially threw together unlikely combinations of semi-regulars including Stephen Fry (as ‘Dr Donald Trefusis’), John Walters, Richard Jobson, Emma Freud, Craig Charles, Samantha Fox, Jonathan Ross, Pip Dann, Robert Elms, Carol Thatcher, Alan Bennett, and anyone else who could throw together three or four words on the popularity of EastEnders or the latest Mike Leigh film, while over in the corner Victor Lewis-Smith fired off breakneck speed tape-wind-festooned listener-scaring reports on whatever took his fancy. Caused several unexpected outrages, not least over Fry’s celebrated rant about ‘parent power’, Elms shouting at someone who sniffed at graphic novels, and Lewis-Smith’s accidental invention of the ‘Master Bates, Seaman Staines and Roger The Cabin Boy’ myth. Still going under the watchful eye of Clive Anderson but, with most of its oddball regulars long since gone, largely degenerated into PR puff-piece parking lot for anyone with a book to plug.Read More
New! From K-Tel!
TVC on Twitter
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
This was one of the most watched programmes of last Christmas so it’s no surprise they’ve asked for a full series, which begins here. Not sure how well it’ll do after a few episodes in mid-January when it can’t just coast on nostalgia and goodwill while everyone’s half-pissed, but it can’t be any worse than The Royal Bodyguard, can it?
Subscribe to Creamguide
Points of View
- In 'The six worst TV Times Christmas covers', Des E says: "“Dishonourable mention for: creepy Santa illustration which they’ve run in perpetuity since the mid 1990s.” *puts..."
- In 'The six best Christmas TV Times covers', Des E says: "Not a TV Times fan, then, Borgduck? Though the magazine ceased to be really relevant following deregulation in ’91, I..."
- In 'The six best Christmas TV Times covers', borgduck says: "Are you sure these aren’t the six worst TV Times covers?"
- In 'The six worst Christmas Radio Times covers', Richard16378 says: "While I have a higher opinion of Some Mothers Do Ave Em than TVC I admit that picture of Frank Spencer isn’t..."
- In 'The six worst Christmas Radio Times covers', borgduck says: "Strap yourselves. There’s a Some Mothers repeat in less than half an hour!"