NED SHERRIN-led roundtable arts discussion pot-pourri which initially threw together unlikely combinations of semi-regulars including Stephen Fry (as ‘Dr Donald Trefusis’), John Walters, Richard Jobson, Emma Freud, Craig Charles, Samantha Fox, Jonathan Ross, Pip Dann, Robert Elms, Carol Thatcher, Alan Bennett, and anyone else who could throw together three or four words on the popularity of EastEnders or the latest Mike Leigh film, while over in the corner Victor Lewis-Smith fired off breakneck speed tape-wind-festooned listener-scaring reports on whatever took his fancy. Caused several unexpected outrages, not least over Fry’s celebrated rant about ‘parent power’, Elms shouting at someone who sniffed at graphic novels, and Lewis-Smith’s accidental invention of the ‘Master Bates, Seaman Staines and Roger The Cabin Boy’ myth. Still going under the watchful eye of Clive Anderson but, with most of its oddball regulars long since gone, largely degenerated into PR puff-piece parking lot for anyone with a book to plug.Read More
TVC on Twitter
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
Into the eighties now, where food programmes in particular took on the guise we know now, where the recipes themselves play second fiddle to the chefs and their encounters over the dinner table. We hope we get some clips of On The House and Tricks Of The Trade too, because we used to love them. Lance Percival telling us how to mop up red wine? Bring it on!
Subscribe to Creamguide
Points of View
- In 'Hope and Keen’s Crazy House/Bus', Kev says: "…and not forgetting the end title song “Crazy Bus you’ve found another clue We’ll be back again another..."
- In 'Creamvote #6 The most unforgettable sports theme!', Richard16378 says: "The Grandstand theme was also used an American programme about rollercoasters narrated by Vincent Price, which..."
- In 'Creamvote #6 The most unforgettable sports theme!', THX 1139 says: "Had to be World of Sport because that’s the only one I watched, though it was always worth tuning in to Ski..."
- In 'Carrie’s War', Will O'Cary says: "I think the account above (“UBIQUITOUS SCHOOL reading homework…”) was written on the school bus the morning after..."
- In 'Creamvote #5 The most unforgettable kids’ factual show theme!', Dan Pearce says: "As much as find it hard to vote for the traitors’ channel, it has to be Magpie. I have..."