SUBLIME filling of the popular-cultural no-man’s-land between Christmas Day and New Year’s Day with a set of short but charming mini-documentaries on a handful of erstwhile childrens’ TV favourites too old to still be ‘on’ but too recent to be properly nostalgised over yet: Tiswas, Play School, Vision On, the Smallfilms ouvre, Crackerjack, an odds-and-ends collection taking in Bill & Ben/Trumptonshire/Fingerbobs/Captain Pugwash/Mr Benn, and most infamously of all, a startling look back at the rivalry between Blue Peter and Magpie, peppered with guarded inter-presenter verbal barbs and hinting at all manner of shadowy The Fourth K-esque management power struggles behind the scenes. No wonder Noakes and Shep were so keen to ‘Go’! Packed to the ‘white void’ studio rafters with original contributors and bizarre anecdotes about stolen Teds, incinerated Mintons, foul-mouthed Clangers, New York taxi drivers shouting ‘COMPOST CORNER!’, ‘baby bump’-concealing scenery, Hamble-torture, Gilliam/Yellow Sumbarine-emulation, Leo Sayer fuming at theft of trademark ‘perm’, hypothermia-afflicted future Doctor Whos, backstage Play School joint-toking, and sticking two fingers up at Noel Edmonds, and with nary a second-rate standup doing that counting an imaginary ‘witty’ list off on their fingers thing in sight, this was – in a very real sense – what they want. Not to mention inspiring someone, somewhere to upload a handful of Fred Harris JPEGs…Read More
New! From K-Tel!
TVC on Twitter
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
Culture Club are back again although the most interesting thing they’ve done in this incarnation is their appearance on Strictly where George’s voice appeared to be completely shot. In fact that’s pivotal in this documentary following the band around where unfortunately it appears that George comes across as a bit of a bastard, alas.
Subscribe to Creamguide!
Points of View
- In 'Creamvote #15 The most unforgettable quiz show theme', Liam says: "This poll is not valid without The Krypton Factor being on it."
- In 'Creamvote #15 The most unforgettable quiz show theme', Tim says: "Just to even out the obvious double, nay, probable octuple AT LEAST voting of Metroland Ian. He voted at least a..."
- In 'Creamvote #14 The most unforgettable kids’ entertainment show theme', Richard16378 says: "Think It Do It had a very catchy tune, but I can’t find it online anywhere."
- In 'Creamvote #14 The most unforgettable kids’ entertainment show theme', Austin Maxi says: "“What a handsome chap!” Of course, it has to be ‘Think Of A..."
- In 'The 50 Greatest Things About Match Of The Day', Alan says: "Does anyone else remember an MOTD – possibly from the 70s – which was broadcast during a strike, presumably by..."