SUBLIME filling of the popular-cultural no-man’s-land between Christmas Day and New Year’s Day with a set of short but charming mini-documentaries on a handful of erstwhile childrens’ TV favourites too old to still be ‘on’ but too recent to be properly nostalgised over yet: Tiswas, Play School, Vision On, the Smallfilms ouvre, Crackerjack, an odds-and-ends collection taking in Bill & Ben/Trumptonshire/Fingerbobs/Captain Pugwash/Mr Benn, and most infamously of all, a startling look back at the rivalry between Blue Peter and Magpie, peppered with guarded inter-presenter verbal barbs and hinting at all manner of shadowy The Fourth K-esque management power struggles behind the scenes. No wonder Noakes and Shep were so keen to ‘Go’! Packed to the ‘white void’ studio rafters with original contributors and bizarre anecdotes about stolen Teds, incinerated Mintons, foul-mouthed Clangers, New York taxi drivers shouting ‘COMPOST CORNER!’, ‘baby bump’-concealing scenery, Hamble-torture, Gilliam/Yellow Sumbarine-emulation, Leo Sayer fuming at theft of trademark ‘perm’, hypothermia-afflicted future Doctor Whos, backstage Play School joint-toking, and sticking two fingers up at Noel Edmonds, and with nary a second-rate standup doing that counting an imaginary ‘witty’ list off on their fingers thing in sight, this was – in a very real sense – what they want. Not to mention inspiring someone, somewhere to upload a handful of Fred Harris JPEGs…Read More
TVC on Twitter
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
We should look at the nations’ output a bit more but, to be honest, we always forget – but we’re not going to forget a name like that, are we? Insert the joke about it being hard to tell the difference here. Seems a pretty low-concept show, to be honest, but with the news that among those sharing their memories is the mighty Gaz Top, it’s well worth navigating the outer reaches of the EPG if you’re not in the principality.
Subscribe to Creamguide
Points of View
- In 'Creamvote #5 The most unforgettable kids’ factual show theme!', Dan Pearce says: "As much as find it hard to vote for the traitors’ channel, it has to be Magpie. I have..."
- In 'Creamvote #5 The most unforgettable kids’ factual show theme!', Mark Wright says: "Like thousands of other kids of my generation, I was allowed to watch ITV in our house, so..."
- In 'Three for the Fancy', Steve Welton says: "Fabulous play! I am also looking for a copy of this little Gem……….. “Rumours travel fast among the..."
- In 'Creamvote #4 The most unforgettable sitcom theme!', GhostDiver says: "Most memorable for me is Some Mothers Do ‘Ave ‘Em – takes me right back to Saturday nights in..."
- In 'Fingerbobs', Mike Bailey says: "There was an article in the papers saying that Rick Jones was permanently off his face in the studio – and that he destroyed the..."