SUBLIME filling of the popular-cultural no-man’s-land between Christmas Day and New Year’s Day with a set of short but charming mini-documentaries on a handful of erstwhile childrens’ TV favourites too old to still be ‘on’ but too recent to be properly nostalgised over yet: Tiswas, Play School, Vision On, the Smallfilms ouvre, Crackerjack, an odds-and-ends collection taking in Bill & Ben/Trumptonshire/Fingerbobs/Captain Pugwash/Mr Benn, and most infamously of all, a startling look back at the rivalry between Blue Peter and Magpie, peppered with guarded inter-presenter verbal barbs and hinting at all manner of shadowy The Fourth K-esque management power struggles behind the scenes. No wonder Noakes and Shep were so keen to ‘Go’! Packed to the ‘white void’ studio rafters with original contributors and bizarre anecdotes about stolen Teds, incinerated Mintons, foul-mouthed Clangers, New York taxi drivers shouting ‘COMPOST CORNER!’, ‘baby bump’-concealing scenery, Hamble-torture, Gilliam/Yellow Sumbarine-emulation, Leo Sayer fuming at theft of trademark ‘perm’, hypothermia-afflicted future Doctor Whos, backstage Play School joint-toking, and sticking two fingers up at Noel Edmonds, and with nary a second-rate standup doing that counting an imaginary ‘witty’ list off on their fingers thing in sight, this was – in a very real sense – what they want. Not to mention inspiring someone, somewhere to upload a handful of Fred Harris JPEGs…Read More
New! From K-Tel!
TVC on Twitter
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
Last week of these, which has at least illustrated that before Tel started phoning it in a bit he was a genuinely good interviewer and Wogan as a show could often come up with the goods, albeit not every night. Sadly it doesn’t look as if his chat with the cast of Pobol Y Cwm is going to make it into this series, but Wednesday’s episode looks the most interesting this week as we’re promised Rik Mayall and Ronnie Barker, the latter perhaps smashing up his Sun award in protest at a crappy story they ran about him.
Subscribe to Creamguide!
Points of View
- In 'Three Up Two Down', THX 1139 says: "Watched the last ever episode to see if Mike and Ange got it together, and right enough they had obviously just heard they weren’t getting..."
- In 'Red Hand Gang, The', THX 1139 says: "The legendary James Bond III went on to direct and star his own horror movie, called Def by Temptation. Why yes, it was made in the 90s. I rented..."
- In 'PICK OF THE DAY', Richard16378 says: "Channel 5 also showed it in it’s early days. The home videos had some songs changed due to rights issues, but I believe the DVDs have..."
- In 'Red Hand Gang, The', Ged Burke says: "I rememember this show well when I was a kid."
- In 'Clangers, The', Richard Freeman says: "IT RETURNS!!!!"