SUBLIME filling of the popular-cultural no-man’s-land between Christmas Day and New Year’s Day with a set of short but charming mini-documentaries on a handful of erstwhile childrens’ TV favourites too old to still be ‘on’ but too recent to be properly nostalgised over yet: Tiswas, Play School, Vision On, the Smallfilms ouvre, Crackerjack, an odds-and-ends collection taking in Bill & Ben/Trumptonshire/Fingerbobs/Captain Pugwash/Mr Benn, and most infamously of all, a startling look back at the rivalry between Blue Peter and Magpie, peppered with guarded inter-presenter verbal barbs and hinting at all manner of shadowy The Fourth K-esque management power struggles behind the scenes. No wonder Noakes and Shep were so keen to ‘Go’! Packed to the ‘white void’ studio rafters with original contributors and bizarre anecdotes about stolen Teds, incinerated Mintons, foul-mouthed Clangers, New York taxi drivers shouting ‘COMPOST CORNER!’, ‘baby bump’-concealing scenery, Hamble-torture, Gilliam/Yellow Sumbarine-emulation, Leo Sayer fuming at theft of trademark ‘perm’, hypothermia-afflicted future Doctor Whos, backstage Play School joint-toking, and sticking two fingers up at Noel Edmonds, and with nary a second-rate standup doing that counting an imaginary ‘witty’ list off on their fingers thing in sight, this was – in a very real sense – what they want. Not to mention inspiring someone, somewhere to upload a handful of Fred Harris JPEGs…Read More
New! From K-Tel!
TVC on Twitter
Subscribe to Creamguide!
Points of View
- In 'Where the Spies Are ', George White says: "The new Man from UNCLE is very vanilla, and the two leads are charisma vacuums. A David Menkin has been in a noir short by Madtv writer..."
- In 'Spaceballs ', George White says: "mel brooks is returning to make a slasher called PIzzaman – not the Diamond DALLAS Page/Joe Eckhardt film..."
- In 'Photo clippage: Lynam special', George White says: "DOes anyone besides my mum remember Cher being a nightmare on Wogan promoting Mermaids (written by Paddy Dann of Susan..."
- In 'Waterloo Sunset', George White says: "Isn’t Swiftnick from DIck Turpin in it? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1542023/?ref_=fn_tt_tt _1 THis UK short seems to be a homage// Sissy..."
- In 'Prime Cut ', George White says: "ins’t GH called Mary Ann in it? Spacek’s nephew Mark recently remade Waterloo Sunset."