DIRTY-FACED FEISTY POWS of the fairer sex see out the Second World War in an internment camp in Malaya. The key word there being ‘camp’. Banding together under the de facto leadership of ANN BELL were rape victim STEPHANIE BEACHAM, doctor STEPHANIE COLE, nurses CLAIRE OBERMAN and JEANANNE CROWLEY and tottering old academic JEAN ANDERSON. Legendary BURT KWOUK was a camp commandant, the key word there being… oh, you get the idea. Stirring stuff and, once Michael Grade had sniffed out some post-SONGS OF PRAISE potential, a weekend hit. Last series offered up a multitude of baked bean endings by virtue of concentrating on that old dramatic stalwart, Life After Wartime, i.e. reunions with lost loves, arguments with other people’s lost loves, fights over lost loves, and lost loves staying positively lost through the small matter of, well, death. Lousy “reunion” finale in 1985 was set in 1950 and took the form of – erk – a murder mystery. At least nobody saw it coming. Unlike the end of the war.Read More
New! From K-Tel!
TVC on Twitter
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
More Blue Peter presenters in extra-curricular bits of business here. It’s Barney this time in what, though it’s billed under this title, is actually a Prom from the Royal Albert Hall. The Ten Pieces Prom is the climax of the Beeb’s initiative to get kids interested in classical music by picking ten of the most exciting and hummable bits, and everyone who was at this Prom says it was absolutely brilliant and yet another amazing thing only the Beeb can do. Lots of praise too for Barney’s co-hosts, the still fantastic Dick and Dom.
Subscribe to Creamguide!
Points of View
- In 'Murun Buchstansangur', graysonscolumn says: "The work of the very gifted Timothy Forder, also responsible for the animated adaptation of the W Heath Robinson book Bill the Minder and..."
- In 'Mr and Mrs', graysonscolumn says: "Weren’t Crush A Grape and Krankies Television another pair of networked show for Border, however briefly? Since the cessation of the original..."
- In 'Mop and Smiff/Mike, Mop and the Moke', graysonscolumn says: "Bless me. I had no idea yer man Amatt was a member of this lot beforehand: http://hermanshermits.co.uk/mike-bio.html..."
- In 'Moomins', graysonscolumn says: "Echo Paul’s comment – the less said about the remake, the better. The fuzzy felt version (Polish made, and with narration by Richard..."
- In 'Montreux Rock Festival, The', graysonscolumn says: "Can’t pin the twin nuisances of Opus and The Art Company on Germany, I’m afraid – they are Austrian and Dutch..."