NED SHERRIN-led roundtable arts discussion pot-pourri which initially threw together unlikely combinations of semi-regulars including Stephen Fry (as ‘Dr Donald Trefusis’), John Walters, Richard Jobson, Emma Freud, Craig Charles, Samantha Fox, Jonathan Ross, Pip Dann, Robert Elms, Carol Thatcher, Alan Bennett, and anyone else who could throw together three or four words on the popularity of EastEnders or the latest Mike Leigh film, while over in the corner Victor Lewis-Smith fired off breakneck speed tape-wind-festooned listener-scaring reports on whatever took his fancy. Caused several unexpected outrages, not least over Fry’s celebrated rant about ‘parent power’, Elms shouting at someone who sniffed at graphic novels, and Lewis-Smith’s accidental invention of the ‘Master Bates, Seaman Staines and Roger The Cabin Boy’ myth. Still going under the watchful eye of Clive Anderson but, with most of its oddball regulars long since gone, largely degenerated into PR puff-piece parking lot for anyone with a book to plug.Read More
New! From K-Tel!
TVC on Twitter
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
We said the other week that very few bands came out of 1975 with critical and commercial success intact, and while we were mentioning Queen at the time we might suggest 10cc also fall into that category, making it to number one with a record they didn’t really think that much of and thought it stop their career in its tracks. Of course they initially got together as writers and producers rather than performers and spent much of their time experimenting with sound, to the extent Godley and Crème initially left the band to invent a new musical instrument. So the four are suitable subjects for this series. More from the lads later in the week.
Subscribe to Creamguide!
Points of View
- In 'Creamguide(Films) Commentaries: Lifeforce', Darthflanflinger says: "… oh and Lenny Henry co-produced ‘Neverwhere’."
- In 'Big Trouble In Little China ', George White says: "Actually, that’s Victor Wong. Vincent Wong was in Who, Victor Wong was in Big Trouble."
- In 'Creamguide(Films) Commentaries: Lifeforce', George White says: "The bloke, Bukovsky is Michael Gothard, Locque the speccy baddie in For Your Eyes Only, and was the sidekick in Arthur..."
- In 'Creamguide(Films) Commentaries: Lifeforce', Darthflanflinger says: "Persian-chilli-jully-mumban is Bob Mills ‘In Bed With Medinner’ reference. Now. People. Do I get in..."
- In 'PICK OF THE DAY', Darthflanflinger says: "I listened. It was fantastic. Plus a clip from when he engaged in banter with Rikki Fulton. Cue memory of a Rikki Fulton documentary where..."