VARIOUSLY ANDY KERSHAW/MARK KERMODE-FRONTED genre-driven rifle through the nation’s Record Fairs, usually with some geographically relevant (ie available) pop person in tow; Pete Shelley in Manchester, that sort of thing. Title-busting conceit was that collectors would bring along their already-valued purchases for a quick spin, giving the listener tantalising hearings of rare pre-fame Marc Bolan waxings, Stones producer Glyn Johns doing unspeakable things to his charges’ compositions, and Sammy Davis Jnr singing the theme from Hawaii Five-O. Nowadays, of course, you can find all this stuff through Google in about five seconds.Read More
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
Been a shitty week for deaths, one of the saddest being Trevor Bolder of the Spiders of Mars, which adds extra poignancy to this big new documentary. In it they’re going to take five turning points in the career of Dave Bowie of The Dave Bowie Band, and though we don’t think he’s interviewed for it, seemingly everyone who’s ever worked with him is and there are loads of rare clips.
Subscribe to Creamguide
Points of View
- In 'Grand Prix ', Tom says: "I always like the random shot of Jim Clark, named no less, halfway through. It’s like they think “Hey, we’ve got to have Jim in it,..."
- In 'McCloud', Applemask says: "Chief?"
- In 'Mann’s Best Friends', Applemask says: "Was the main character called “Ian Mann”?"
- In 'Man About the House', Applemask says: "“What’s on the box? Man About the House with Paula Wilcox”."
- In 'Make ‘Em Laugh', Applemask says: "Hey, fuck you, voiceover man, it was Harold who did the real work, and you know it, you pussy!"