LONG-SERVING wheel-taker of Two’s Bisto-centric Sunday lunchtime inspiration-freeness All Time Greats, maintaining similar slightly over-concerned patter no doubt perfected in his days with Forces Radio, and probably delivered to the exact same audience too. Now broadcasts live from customised (ie it has a webcam) shack in the Grampian Mountains; recent polling revealed the most played ‘Great’ to be, not surprisingly, Begin The Beguine. The Radio Times once printed a letter from a concerned correspondent worried about the effect of a gruelling three-hour stint on Des’s health. He’s only playing records!Read More
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
For the first time in a while, two consecutive episodes, so it’s a completely different line-up to the last time and some belated debuts for Ian Dury and Sham 69 who we’d have otherwise seen two weeks ago, in a classic Pops juxtaposition with another Cilla flop and the first appearance of a record that, even skipping all the Savile and Travis episodes, you’re going to hear a hell of lot over the next few months.
Subscribe to Creamguide
Points of View
- In 'The Official Doctor Who Fan Club returns', Applemask says: "Why is Doctor Who’s status as a children’s show so important to you?"
- In 'Sixty Minutes', Applemask says: "Complete failure on the graphic designers’ part to make the letter S look like the number 60."
- In 'Xerxes', Applemask says: "Xerxes himself is now the founding leader of the pro-prohibition Liquor Party, who came thirteenth in the last Swedish General Election. Good fact."
- In 'Jonny Briggs', Applemask says: "Could never understand a word these Northern people were saying. Nothing to do with Mike Baldwin either."
- In 'Jimmy Will Fix It', Applemask says: "Jim’ll Fuck It"