The best thing about these film versions of sitcoms is that the plots seldom bear much similarity to the “sit” of the original series. So in Are You Being Served? for instance, you get the entire cast going on holiday together, no questions asked. Bless This House introduces Terry Scott and Peter Butterworth apropos nothing. Possibly the biggest deviation comes from this film, with the fraught five-way dynamic of the series getting the boot early on when the cast find themselves uniting to save their lodgings from the clutches of ruthless property developer Peter ‘Sir Frank is in charge of civil service pay’ Cellier. It’s a plot hardly worthy of an also-ran Children’s Film Foundation adventure, but it’s all carried off with a such an end-of-term sense of fun you hardly notice. After O’Sullivan and Bill Maynard sabotage his posh dinner date with Wilcox (consisting, of course, of prawn cocktail followed by Steak Diane), Cellier climbs into a taxi and utters the key line – “Thames Television studios, Euston Road, please” – so waving a fond goodbye to the demands of plot and a big hello to “a galaxy of Thames stars” from Bill Grundy, through Jack Smethurst and Rudolph Walker indulging in a terrible pull-back-and-reveal racial gag, Michael Robbins as an old flame of Mildred’s, to an extravagantly bearded Spike “gotta get these things OUT!!” Milligan. It’s the nearest thing there is to a Christmas special on film, really, and for that, to say nothing of the wonderfully wistful closing credits theme, we love it.Read More
New! From K-Tel!
TVC on Twitter
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
Saturday, 10.00, BBC Radio 4
A rather higher profile edition of this series than usual as the artist who’s talking John Wilson through his inspirations and working methods is none other than Macca himself. With an hour to play with they’re not limiting themselves to a single LP but the highs of his post-Fabs ouevre, and there’s a celebrity audience all eager to ask the great man questions as well.
Subscribe to Creamguide!
Points of View
- In 'PICK OF THE DAY', Richard16378 says: "This has been up for a week is there a glitch or most of TVC on holiday?"
- In 'Creamvote quarter-final #4', Des E says: "Grandstand’s probably going to win fairly comfortably, so I’ve given the ‘busters a consolation vote. Hopefully, though,..."
- In 'Creamvote quarter-final #3', TV Cream says: "Dunno what happened with the voting function on this one. Sorry, everybody! We’re just going to tally the Twitter votes instead,..."
- In 'Creamvote quarter-final #4', Richard16378 says: "Tough choice, but Grandstand just squeezed through, helped by being used on that Vincent Price film about roller coasters that..."
- In 'Creamvote quarter-final #3', Des E says: "Hey! Can’t we vote here or is it all being done on Twitter on this occasion?"