Daily Fable, The

Posted in Telly > TV A-Z > A-M > D is for... > Daily Fable, The | 14 Comments »
1973 to 1975 on ITV

ANTHROPOMORPHIC PAPER puppetry. The theme song featured a bunch of kid voices singing “Hello to Mr. Owl, What’s happening today in Fable Land ?” to which Mr. Owl would reply “More news from our fable land”. There were two brothers who were woodworking beavers, a wolf called Boris who spoke like Bela Lugosi and had a penchant for playing the accordion, a rabbity thing called Zippy the Hare (who ran for Prime Minister of the wood), George the Guinea Pig, Mr Crow, Miss Stork (who briefly became queen), a depressed carrier pigeon, Miss Ant, Harold the Bear, Shelley the Tortoise, Mr Cunningham the Fox, Myra and Martha the hamsters, Fulton the trout et al. Five minutes long.

TV CREAM SAYS: FIVE MINUTES TOO LONG

Tags: ,

14 Responses to “Daily Fable, The”

1. Matty says:

mmmmmm.’and now…… heads under wings…. beaks under blankets….. eyes tightly closed ….’ owl opens one eye and checks us out ….. ‘ Good night!’

Yes I remember it. Boris the Wolf was a character.

2. Me and some friends were trying to think of the name of this program. We knew it was broadcast in the 70′s in the UK and was transmitted about five to six in the evening just before the news.

3. Graham Williams says:

I’d almost forgotten about this – used to be in Comprehensive School when it was screened, and while I was far too old for it I admit to being fascinated at its excesses – so bad it was brilliant!

4. Diana Morgan says:

Would still like to know the name of this programme. Thought it was on at lunchtime as my daughter used to watch it and cry everytime the owl said – night night Mr Owl.

5. Neil Davies says:

Loved it – my friends and I used to discuss, in all seriousness, the contents of the latest episode, and mimic the voices, in the pub most evenings. One of the gang would become Town Mayor some decades on, and his favourite character was Mr Cunningham. So, yes, it was very instructive.

6. Paul Hughes says:

I used to love the programme. It was called ‘The Daily Fable’. I still remember the whole of the intro. song (how sad is that?)
    (animals from wood) Hello to mr Owl, whats happening today, in Fable land?
    (Mr Owl). More news from our Fable Land.
    (animals) The stories we adore, you tell to us and more
    (Owl). I guess that’s what you’re waiting for.
    (animals) we know, let’s go.
    To daily Fable Land

7. Paul Hughes says:

Sorry but I have remembered a couple more lines from the song

(animals from wood) Hello to mr Owl, whats happening today, in Fable land?
    (Mr Owl). More news from our Fable Land.
    (animals) The stories we adore, you tell to us and more
    (Owl). I guess that’s what you’re waiting for.
    This daily fable will unfold with all the stories to be told.
    (animals) we know, let’s go.
    To daily Fable Land

8. Paul Hughes says:

OK. One last go. I think I have the song right now.

(animals from wood) Hello to mr Owl, whats happening today, in Fable land?
    (Mr Owl). More news from our Fable Land.
    (animals) The stories we adore, you tell to us and more
    (Owl). I guess that’s what you’re waiting for.
    This daily fable will unfold with all the stories to be told.
    (animals) All new too true, we listen then to you.
    (Owl) For animals are lofty dreamers, just like humans crafty schemers. Generous, jealous humble brand, but their fun you understand?
    (animals) we know, let’s go.
    To daily Fable Land

9. doubledutch says:

It was called the Fabeltjes Krant and ran from 1968 ( when I was 12 ) to 1992 and was compulsive viewing for our family when growing up in Holland. My dad always joked he couldn’t go to sleep if he hadn’t seen an episode that night to great hilarity of my brother and me. I don’t know what the english version was like, but in Dutch the characters were well observed and the story lines witty and a great observation of human interaction translated into animal behaviour. Very popular and compulsive tea time viewing!

10. Caroline Wood says:

I remember this programme my sister and I always felt compelled to watch it although neither of us really liked it. What was it the owl said at the end, it sounded something like orky dickie duck bert! ?

11. Janet says:

I loved this programme, bearing in mind I was 2 years old when it began. I used to ask for it by saying I wanted to see the wee man with the winks – the owl who always gave a wink at end, and said right all you little people, heads under wings, beaks under blankets, all eyes closed – goodnight! My dad taped the programme – on an audio tape – might even have used his reel-to-reel and then transferred it to cassette tape as this was pre-video – and I would listen to the little 5 minute stories. I loved the little song at beginning – hello there Mr Owl what’s happening today in fable land – those stories you’ve been told, the wonders too behold in your fable land. I remember it always was on for 5 minutes before Crossroads came on as that was my parents soap and we watched it as a family eating out tea round the telly.

12. Martin Anderson says:

I loved this, but I know no-one else who remembers it. I associate it with Crossroads as my mum never watched BBC at that time of night!. Mr Owl sang the song and Mr Crow had the attitude! Always laughed and the stories were pitched for adults and children. Pity can’t find the English-dubbed programmes on You Tube. Only the original Dutch versions can be viewed. Does anyone know if the originals can be viewed in English?

13. cathie craig says:

i asked everybody about this programme and nobody can remember it i was beginning to think i dreamt it up

14. Bryant Roberts says:

This programme was broadcast in Hong Kong in the late 1960s. It was sponsored by Phillips and was called the Phillips Puppett Theatre