DECADE-ENHANCING COFFEE table staple by SUE TOWNSEND adapted reasonably, if rather needlessly, for the screen and starring GIAN SAMMARCO as the spotty, ‘thing’-obsessed adolescent nerd misunderstood by his parents, adored by his grandma and, of course, profoundly in love with Pandora, as Ian Dury’s rousing theme recited. Barely a script change, with much of it in monologue with Adrian in his bedroom, staring into the mirror while reading extracts from the diary. Beetroot-loving octogenarian bigot Bert Baxter provided a final role for BILL “ARMY GAME” FRASER, while the rest of the cast were spot on: JULIE WALTERS and STEPHEN MOORE as the hard-drinking, forever-rowing parents and BERYL REID as the thin-lipped, potty grandma. LINDSEY STAGG played Pandora, who wasn’t anywhere near as ravishable as we’d expected. Sequel THE GROWING PAINS… was also done, to lesser effect, mainly as Walters had been replaced by LULU, who just wasn’t as convincing as a woefully bad matriarch. Childbirth, running away from home, “touch her bust”, Falklands campaign maps, “we shall, we shall wear red socks”. Not at all bad. Sammarco played the character again, in all but name, in a bad run of high street bank adverts, winking at the cashier and everything. Has since vacated “public eye” radar screen.
TV CREAM SAYS: RUBBISH LATTERDAY BBC SEQUEL FOUND ADRIAN AS INCAPABLE CHEF
7 Responses to “Adrian Mole, The Secret Diary/Growing Pains of”
Leave a Reply
New! From K-Tel!
TVC on Twitter
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
A few years back we received an email from the local Chamber of Commerce reminding us the clocks were going forward, though we really think that if you’re relying on the Chamber to tell you, you probably don’t have the wit to make a success of your business. The title of this show is another reminder, heralding a documentary presented by Stephen Fry on why we do it and if we still should.
Subscribe to Creamguide!
Points of View
- In 'Red Hand Gang, The', Ged Burke says: "I rememember this show well when I was a kid."
- In 'Clangers, The', Richard Freeman says: "IT RETURNS!!!!"
- In 'Dangermouse', Richard Freeman says: "Penfold was a hamster not a mole. It’s coming back by they way, new series this year with Kevin Eldon as Penfold and Alexander Armstrong as..."
- In 'Words and Pictures', Graham Pearson says: "Watch the episode of Words and Pictures in which Henry tells the story of a pumpkin scaring members of the public until a pig thwarted him...."
- In 'PICK OF THE DAY', Richard16378 says: "You did mention this a few days ago, it was one show I was too young to click with when it was first on. The titles & music do feel like..."