DECADE-ENHANCING COFFEE table staple by SUE TOWNSEND adapted reasonably, if rather needlessly, for the screen and starring GIAN SAMMARCO as the spotty, ‘thing’-obsessed adolescent nerd misunderstood by his parents, adored by his grandma and, of course, profoundly in love with Pandora, as Ian Dury’s rousing theme recited. Barely a script change, with much of it in monologue with Adrian in his bedroom, staring into the mirror while reading extracts from the diary. Beetroot-loving octogenarian bigot Bert Baxter provided a final role for BILL “ARMY GAME” FRASER, while the rest of the cast were spot on: JULIE WALTERS and STEPHEN MOORE as the hard-drinking, forever-rowing parents and BERYL REID as the thin-lipped, potty grandma. LINDSEY STAGG played Pandora, who wasn’t anywhere near as ravishable as we’d expected. Sequel THE GROWING PAINS… was also done, to lesser effect, mainly as Walters had been replaced by LULU, who just wasn’t as convincing as a woefully bad matriarch. Childbirth, running away from home, “touch her bust”, Falklands campaign maps, “we shall, we shall wear red socks”. Not at all bad. Sammarco played the character again, in all but name, in a bad run of high street bank adverts, winking at the cashier and everything. Has since vacated “public eye” radar screen.
TV CREAM SAYS: RUBBISH LATTERDAY BBC SEQUEL FOUND ADRIAN AS INCAPABLE CHEF
7 Responses to “Adrian Mole, The Secret Diary/Growing Pains of”
Leave a Reply
New! From K-Tel!
TVC on Twitter
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
Despite most of the familiar venues being jettisoned in favour of identical tracks in the middle of the desert, the British Grand Prix still makes it onto the Formula One calendar, and here Suzi Perry goes round to Murray Walker’s house to watch tapes of three of the most famous races in its history.
Subscribe to Creamguide!
Points of View
- In 'Naked Video', David Smith says: "The end credits for the latter series replaced the roaring Thatcher with John Major as a buck toothed mouse, I recall…"
- In 'Horses Galore', Alan says: "Someone on another site also says that the presenter was Susan George but it was definitely Susan King. I can however see a resemblance between them. A..."
- In 'Your Local Station – Across The Nation!', AlexTheEngineer-Ipswich says: "Surprised to see no mention of Laser 558, Radio Caroline (which took over 558 for a bit after the MV..."
- In 'Friends in Space', Danny says: "OMG! I’ve been looking for this for years. Watching it as a kid it stayed with me and I never forgot it!"
- In 'New Faces', harvey wood says: "I was on new faces in 1975 does anyone have any copies or information please thanks"