DECADE-ENHANCING COFFEE table staple by SUE TOWNSEND adapted reasonably, if rather needlessly, for the screen and starring GIAN SAMMARCO as the spotty, ‘thing’-obsessed adolescent nerd misunderstood by his parents, adored by his grandma and, of course, profoundly in love with Pandora, as Ian Dury’s rousing theme recited. Barely a script change, with much of it in monologue with Adrian in his bedroom, staring into the mirror while reading extracts from the diary. Beetroot-loving octogenarian bigot Bert Baxter provided a final role for BILL “ARMY GAME” FRASER, while the rest of the cast were spot on: JULIE WALTERS and STEPHEN MOORE as the hard-drinking, forever-rowing parents and BERYL REID as the thin-lipped, potty grandma. LINDSEY STAGG played Pandora, who wasn’t anywhere near as ravishable as we’d expected. Sequel THE GROWING PAINS… was also done, to lesser effect, mainly as Walters had been replaced by LULU, who just wasn’t as convincing as a woefully bad matriarch. Childbirth, running away from home, “touch her bust”, Falklands campaign maps, “we shall, we shall wear red socks”. Not at all bad. Sammarco played the character again, in all but name, in a bad run of high street bank adverts, winking at the cashier and everything. Has since vacated “public eye” radar screen.
TV CREAM SAYS: RUBBISH LATTERDAY BBC SEQUEL FOUND ADRIAN AS INCAPABLE CHEF
7 responses to “Adrian Mole, The Secret Diary/Growing Pains of”
Leave a Reply
New! From K-Tel!
TVC on Twitter
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
Tuesday, 22.00, BBC Radio 2
One interesting thing about Radio 2 at the moment is that they’re broadcasting the Referendum Campaign Broadcasts, which we think is the first time this station has broadcast this kind of thing for about twenty years. Meanwhile here’s Eamonn Holmes to rummage through his cuttings with Kate. Eamonn seems to be trying to style himself as the hardest working man in broadcasting, and we remember reading a few years ago that he went through a spell of doing Sky News, This Morning and the Midweek Lottery all on the same day, and it virtually killed him. For all he’s considered the king of bland, unchallenging broadcasting he’s had more than his fair share of headlines – Princess Tippy Toes and all that – so this might be worth hearing.
Subscribe to Creamguide!
Points of View
- In 'Rondo Veneziano', David Lewis says: "HTV used the animation as a filler and also used the tune for programme menus."
- In 'Not the Nine O’clock News', Richard16378 says: "The (sadly late) Victoria Wood was considered for this show but turned down the offer. IIRC she wasn’t keen on writing..."
- In 'PICK OF THE DAY', Richard16378 says: "This has been up for a week is there a glitch or most of TVC on holiday?"
- In 'Creamvote quarter-final #4', Des E says: "Grandstand’s probably going to win fairly comfortably, so I’ve given the ‘busters a consolation vote. Hopefully, though,..."
- In 'Creamvote quarter-final #3', TV Cream says: "Dunno what happened with the voting function on this one. Sorry, everybody! We’re just going to tally the Twitter votes instead,..."