ANOTHER WOEFULLY misguided effort from the regions (see SIN ON SATURDAY) to fill the 10.30pm slot when Parky, Carrott and Wogan were on holiday. See if you can spot the mistakes here: each week an “international celebrity” would “throw” a “party” for their “friends” at Pebble Mill, where the cameras would rove around the proceedings, inviting us the viewer to experience the high life from our own armchair. The first “host” was VIDAL SASSOON, the second, er, DAVE LEE TRAVIS. VICTOR SPINETTI was going to be the third, but the axe fortuitously fell.
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor tonight, which allows us to mention that when it got to number one, Calendar showed a clip from its Whistle Test-inspired video and captioned it “amateur video”. In fact that video was the first we’d heard of them or it, when it was shown on Popworld in fact, and we never thought the record version was quite as good because it was a bit overproduced. Anyway, it’s included here because it started bands being broken via the internet and that rather than the major labels and Top of the Pops.
Subscribe to Creamguide
Points of View
- In 'Jonny Briggs', Applemask says: "Could never understand a word these Northern people were saying. Nothing to do with Mike Baldwin either."
- In 'Jimmy Will Fix It', Applemask says: "Jim’ll Fuck It"
- In 'PICK OF THE DAY', Gerry Dorrian says: "He was a classic on TotP with the girls, wasn’t he?"
- In 'Bread', Richard16378 says: "I was too young too see the first series but certainly remember it from the 2nd onwards. It seemed OK upto the Xmas special in Rome, but from the series..."
- In 'Bread', Applemask says: "Not COMPLETELY worthless, as it represented something close to genuine working-class life in the midst of Thatcher’s imperial phase. I have a lot of..."