DALLAS FOR primary schools, in that it ran and ran and ran, everybody ended up bored with it, nobody could remember why it had started in the first place, and the whole thing was never less than stupendously preposterous. Original premise involved ghosts back from the spirit world to make amends for failures in their previous lives, and boasted the likes of Victorian dandy Hubert Davenport (MICHAEL DARBYSHIRE) and modern day doesn’t-want-parents-to-find-out-he’s-a-ghost-dilemma Fred Mumford (ANTHONY JACKSON). Presence, however, of bearded tri-corner-hatted gurning minstrel Timothy Claypole (MICHAEL STANIFORTH) hinted at the decline soon to come. Sure enough, as year followed year, all decent storytelling vanished in the onset of joyless japery, courtesy of dopey neighbours Rose and Arthur Perkins, the most unconvincing pantomime horse in the world, MOLLY WEIR (as a Scottish witch), CHRISTOPHER BIGGINS (as himself as camp furniture dealer Adam Painting) and Audrey from Coronation Street (as a Dutch hay-fever sufferer). Eventually “sneezed” off for good when Michael Grade said ’tis done.
TVC on Twitter
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
After the sporting compilation, here’s the centrepiece of the celebrations – though not the end, as we’re promised more, including a Harry and Paul special, “sprinkled across the schedules throughout the year” – as Dara O’Briain and top Creamer Richard Osman host this special. It’s all based around a quiz but you’re to expect lots of clips and surprise guests popping in throughout its hundred minute running time, and it should all be perfectly entertaining holiday fare.
Subscribe to Creamguide
Points of View
- In 'Play Chess', Graham Pearson says: "Play Chess was generally broadcast during the school holidays. I also remember BBC2 coverage of two senior chess players in action."
- In 'Fast Forward', Scott McPhee says: "This was shown on Australian television, too. I seem to remember Fast Forward had a vox pop segment. In this, a camera crew went to a generic..."
- In 'Rainbow', Scott McPhee says: "Why no mention of Zippy and Bungle?"
- In 'Words and Pictures', Rehannah Mian says: "I have just uploaded the Words and Pictures Halloween episode. It has the witches song in it but not the pumpkin..."
- In 'For the West ', malcolm says: "Does anybody know where I can find this to buy ? My brother acted in it as a child and only got to see it once. It would make a great gift :0)"