“TO BE HONEST,” they would proclaim, “the fuss that is sometimes made when we’re playing the theatres scares us. It’s like The Beatles.” The Bootleg Beatles, that is. Walking (just) embodiment of what went wrong with comedy in the 80s, now born-again Christians but still happy to lap it up at the Blackpool Winter Gardens. Enjoyed astonishing exposure off the back of amusingly failed appearances on BRUCE FORSYTH'S BIG NIGHT doing sub-sub-sub Morecambe and Wise variety with a curly-haired noisy little sod with braces (“Rock on, Tommy!”) and tall dull stooge. Own show weirdly mutated into a sitcom for a bit, then ended up – oh god – Cannon And Ball’s Casino with a young Steve Coogan cashing his chips. Not the nadir, though; that was spin-off film The Boys In Blue, done ten years after ITV spin-off films had a) stopped being funny and b) just stopped. An appearance in 2000 on J** D*******’s Generation Game was arduous: Cannon sings song “for all the ladies and gentlemen here tonight”, Ball accompanies on toy trumpet, Cannon gets gradually more agitated with Ball’s erratic behaviour, audience sympathises with Ball… They hadn’t learned.
TVC on Twitter
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
Friday, 23.00, BBC Radio 4 Extra
The fact this programme is being repeated was a news story on Media Guardian the other day, seemingly based on someone reading the Radio Times and spotting it, though they did a better job than we did because it actually started last week and we didn’t notice. It’s the first repeat this side of the millennium and, you’ll note, rather earlier than the original broadcast, though we hear it’s only a five part series because there are contractual complications over whether show six, the one that famously got faded out after fifteen minutes, is actually a proper episode or not. Still, at least you can upgrade your mp3s of the other ones.
Subscribe to Creamguide
Points of View
- In '24) “What kind of a thing is happening here?”', neu75 says: "The very best bit is the England bench’s reaction to the equaliser against Poland. Priceless…"
- In '7) “The skeleton of… a chicken!”', neu75 says: "Amuses me when the journos wax lyrical about American TV drama these days being so dark. To quote the 6th Doctor..."
- In 'Good Morning Britain', Applemask says: "IT’S BACK BITCHES. Nation shrugs as one. Awesome theme tune almost certainly won’t return."
- In '7) “The skeleton of… a chicken!”', Martin M says: "The stuff of my teenage insomnia – watched it again a few years back to see if it still had the same impact..."
- In 'Dimbleby’s exit poll: what’s behind the BBC’s election selection?', John Lyons says: "There was never any chance of an election being helmed from Birmingham. Since..."