“TO BE HONEST,” they would proclaim, “the fuss that is sometimes made when we’re playing the theatres scares us. It’s like The Beatles.” The Bootleg Beatles, that is. Walking (just) embodiment of what went wrong with comedy in the 80s, now born-again Christians but still happy to lap it up at the Blackpool Winter Gardens. Enjoyed astonishing exposure off the back of amusingly failed appearances on BRUCE FORSYTH'S BIG NIGHT doing sub-sub-sub Morecambe and Wise variety with a curly-haired noisy little sod with braces (“Rock on, Tommy!”) and tall dull stooge. Own show weirdly mutated into a sitcom for a bit, then ended up – oh god – Cannon And Ball’s Casino with a young Steve Coogan cashing his chips. Not the nadir, though; that was spin-off film The Boys In Blue, done ten years after ITV spin-off films had a) stopped being funny and b) just stopped. An appearance in 2000 on J** D*******’s Generation Game was arduous: Cannon sings song “for all the ladies and gentlemen here tonight”, Ball accompanies on toy trumpet, Cannon gets gradually more agitated with Ball’s erratic behaviour, audience sympathises with Ball… They hadn’t learned.
TVC on Twitter
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
Low point of last week was Jeremy saying “well done” to a correspondent who pointed out she was making her complaint while the programme she was complaining about was only halfway through. We therefore assume that Jeremy will offer the same praise to any interviewee on his radio show who is prepared to pass comment on a report having only bothered to read half of it, or an interview they weren’t really listening to. Or does it only work like that when it’s just the telly?
Subscribe to Creamguide
Points of View
- In 'Creamvote #1 The most unforgettable political show theme!', Richard16378 says: "I used to watch just the On The Record titles for the Big Ben Crocodile roaring."
- In 'Creamvote #1 The most unforgettable political show theme!', TV Cream says: "Tony Perry – we classify World in Action as ‘News’. And next Thursday, we’re..."
- In 'Creamvote #1 The most unforgettable political show theme!', Rob Free says: "Even people that are rubbish at impressions can do Brian Walden."
- In 'Creamvote #1 The most unforgettable political show theme!', Andy Parker says: "Always used to watch the start of ‘On the Record’ for the theme tune and the brilliant Big..."
- In 'Creamvote #1 The most unforgettable political show theme!', Will J Tudor says: "Forgot about the beauty of the titles and music for On The Record. The genius of what sounds like a..."