“TO BE HONEST,” they would proclaim, “the fuss that is sometimes made when we’re playing the theatres scares us. It’s like The Beatles.” The Bootleg Beatles, that is. Walking (just) embodiment of what went wrong with comedy in the 80s, now born-again Christians but still happy to lap it up at the Blackpool Winter Gardens. Enjoyed astonishing exposure off the back of amusingly failed appearances on BRUCE FORSYTH’S BIG NIGHT doing sub-sub-sub Morecambe and Wise variety with a curly-haired noisy little sod with braces (“Rock on, Tommy!”) and tall dull stooge. Own show weirdly mutated into a sitcom for a bit, then ended up – oh god – Cannon And Ball’s Casino with a young Steve Coogan cashing his chips. Not the nadir, though; that was spin-off film The Boys In Blue, done ten years after ITV spin-off films had a) stopped being funny and b) just stopped. An appearance in 2000 on J** D*******’s Generation Game was arduous: Cannon sings song “for all the ladies and gentlemen here tonight”, Ball accompanies on toy trumpet, Cannon gets gradually more agitated with Ball’s erratic behaviour, audience sympathises with Ball… They hadn’t learned.
New! From K-Tel!
TVC on Twitter
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
Tuesday, 22.00, BBC Radio 2
One interesting thing about Radio 2 at the moment is that they’re broadcasting the Referendum Campaign Broadcasts, which we think is the first time this station has broadcast this kind of thing for about twenty years. Meanwhile here’s Eamonn Holmes to rummage through his cuttings with Kate. Eamonn seems to be trying to style himself as the hardest working man in broadcasting, and we remember reading a few years ago that he went through a spell of doing Sky News, This Morning and the Midweek Lottery all on the same day, and it virtually killed him. For all he’s considered the king of bland, unchallenging broadcasting he’s had more than his fair share of headlines – Princess Tippy Toes and all that – so this might be worth hearing.
Subscribe to Creamguide!
Points of View
- In 'Rondo Veneziano', David Lewis says: "HTV used the animation as a filler and also used the tune for programme menus."
- In 'Not the Nine O’clock News', Richard16378 says: "The (sadly late) Victoria Wood was considered for this show but turned down the offer. IIRC she wasn’t keen on writing..."
- In 'PICK OF THE DAY', Richard16378 says: "This has been up for a week is there a glitch or most of TVC on holiday?"
- In 'Creamvote quarter-final #4', Des E says: "Grandstand’s probably going to win fairly comfortably, so I’ve given the ‘busters a consolation vote. Hopefully, though,..."
- In 'Creamvote quarter-final #3', TV Cream says: "Dunno what happened with the voting function on this one. Sorry, everybody! We’re just going to tally the Twitter votes instead,..."