EARLY HANDIWORK of RUSSELL “CREATED DR WHO” T DAVIES when he was still schlepping away in BBC Manchester. Broadcast at 8 o’clock on Saturday mornings when only the most avid telly kids were up. Six different sections in all, the first being The Kitchen Crew with the puppets, who would link the others, which were, firstly, Cheapo TV: unfunny TV parodies filmed in a park in Salford (although one of GENTLE BEN was quite good), then Single Tales: basically JACKANORY. You may remember Billy Butler telling stories on CHUCKLEVISION about families in Liverpool, and this was more or less the same thing. Zounds: terrible drama school style surrealism (Woman walks past – ‘I AM ANGRY!’ Other woman – ‘I am sad!’ Crap like that). Runners: some sci-fi thing. You read comics while this was on. NiceChap: another drama thing. This was clearly so expensive to make for such a bad slot it didn’t come back. Replaced, as ever, by EGGS’N’BAKER. Cast: four people who have never worked again. Names, let it be known, were Caroline Berry, William Petrie, Lucy Jenkins and Jon Biggins.
TVC on Twitter
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
Just because Richard Marson’s not involved anymore doesn’t mean that this show will stop going nuts about Doctor Who and indeed today’s show appears to offer nothing but, in preparation of the new series which is just days away. Peter Capaldi nips in for a chat and we can’t wait to see how he addresses the show’s youngest fans. We’re sure he’ll get on great with the kids, actually, not least because he was famously a massive Whovian where he was in short trousers.
Subscribe to Creamguide
Points of View
- In 'Never Too Young To Rock ', Alan smith says: "Not much plot and rather confusing in places-but still very worth it for the musical clips! Mud, Glitter band and Rubettes give good..."
- In 'Side By Side ', Alan smith says: "It’s obviously dated humour wise- but taking that into account; it’s a good enough film of it’s kind! Scores over sister film..."
- In 'The 50 Greatest Things About Match Of The Day', Richard Davies says: "Great stuff, Fantasy Football League recreated or featured many of these."
- In 'The 50 Greatest Things About Match Of The Day', Boggenstrovia says: "51. Chris Burns of Portsmouth being carried off shoulder high after their 6th Round FA Cup defeat of. Brian..."
- In 'Strange Affair of Adelaide Harris, The', Dristarg says: "I hate to nitpick, but that last sentence refers to ‘The Story of the Treasure Seekers’."