EARLY HANDIWORK of RUSSELL “CREATED DR WHO” T DAVIES when he was still schlepping away in BBC Manchester. Broadcast at 8 o’clock on Saturday mornings when only the most avid telly kids were up. Six different sections in all, the first being The Kitchen Crew with the puppets, who would link the others, which were, firstly, Cheapo TV: unfunny TV parodies filmed in a park in Salford (although one of GENTLE BEN was quite good), then Single Tales: basically JACKANORY. You may remember Billy Butler telling stories on CHUCKLEVISION about families in Liverpool, and this was more or less the same thing. Zounds: terrible drama school style surrealism (Woman walks past – ‘I AM ANGRY!’ Other woman – ‘I am sad!’ Crap like that). Runners: some sci-fi thing. You read comics while this was on. NiceChap: another drama thing. This was clearly so expensive to make for such a bad slot it didn’t come back. Replaced, as ever, by EGGS’N’BAKER. Cast: four people who have never worked again. Names, let it be known, were Caroline Berry, William Petrie, Lucy Jenkins and Jon Biggins.
New! From K-Tel!
TVC on Twitter
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
More Blue Peter presenters in extra-curricular bits of business here. It’s Barney this time in what, though it’s billed under this title, is actually a Prom from the Royal Albert Hall. The Ten Pieces Prom is the climax of the Beeb’s initiative to get kids interested in classical music by picking ten of the most exciting and hummable bits, and everyone who was at this Prom says it was absolutely brilliant and yet another amazing thing only the Beeb can do. Lots of praise too for Barney’s co-hosts, the still fantastic Dick and Dom.
Subscribe to Creamguide!
Points of View
- In 'Murun Buchstansangur', graysonscolumn says: "The work of the very gifted Timothy Forder, also responsible for the animated adaptation of the W Heath Robinson book Bill the Minder and..."
- In 'Mr and Mrs', graysonscolumn says: "Weren’t Crush A Grape and Krankies Television another pair of networked show for Border, however briefly? Since the cessation of the original..."
- In 'Mop and Smiff/Mike, Mop and the Moke', graysonscolumn says: "Bless me. I had no idea yer man Amatt was a member of this lot beforehand: http://hermanshermits.co.uk/mike-bio.html..."
- In 'Moomins', graysonscolumn says: "Echo Paul’s comment – the less said about the remake, the better. The fuzzy felt version (Polish made, and with narration by Richard..."
- In 'Montreux Rock Festival, The', graysonscolumn says: "Can’t pin the twin nuisances of Opus and The Art Company on Germany, I’m afraid – they are Austrian and Dutch..."