FROM THE DESK OF DOIG. Yup, this was another of Clive’s 1980s epics, only this bestrode the schedules like some corduroy collosus. Not once, not twice, not thrice, but four-weekly pupils v teachers grillathon based, somewhat lazily it has to be admitted, on plain old noughts and crosses. Pupil was “O”, their teacher “X” and “Board” was giant annoyingly clacketty tic-tac-toe grid, each space with four possible configurations – “O”, blank, “X”, blank. Answer a typically riddle-me-ree question correctly (sample: Is the day after tomorrow week the same as yesterday fortnight? How many legs does each contestant have in a three-legged race?), and get to turn squares a certain number of times by nominating positions, in a style later ripped off by Rob Curling’s TURNABOUT, with ultimate aim being, well, tic-tac-toe. First brought to us by HOWARD STABLEFORD before, and this order is correct, PAUL JONES (yup, out of Manfred Mann) then TREVOR “Bruno” BROOKES. Naturally it went downhill from there, Brookes’ arrival coinciding with the replacement of the half-decent Grange Hill-style opening theme with an annoying rap effort and lots of objectionable kids running about objectionably in the title sequence. Winners of first series, if you’re out there, were the pupils and teachers of Monk’s Wall School, Welwyn Garden City.
New! From K-Tel!
TVC on Twitter
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
Tuesday, 22.00, BBC Radio 2
One interesting thing about Radio 2 at the moment is that they’re broadcasting the Referendum Campaign Broadcasts, which we think is the first time this station has broadcast this kind of thing for about twenty years. Meanwhile here’s Eamonn Holmes to rummage through his cuttings with Kate. Eamonn seems to be trying to style himself as the hardest working man in broadcasting, and we remember reading a few years ago that he went through a spell of doing Sky News, This Morning and the Midweek Lottery all on the same day, and it virtually killed him. For all he’s considered the king of bland, unchallenging broadcasting he’s had more than his fair share of headlines – Princess Tippy Toes and all that – so this might be worth hearing.
Subscribe to Creamguide!
Points of View
- In 'Rondo Veneziano', David Lewis says: "HTV used the animation as a filler and also used the tune for programme menus."
- In 'Not the Nine O’clock News', Richard16378 says: "The (sadly late) Victoria Wood was considered for this show but turned down the offer. IIRC she wasn’t keen on writing..."
- In 'PICK OF THE DAY', Richard16378 says: "This has been up for a week is there a glitch or most of TVC on holiday?"
- In 'Creamvote quarter-final #4', Des E says: "Grandstand’s probably going to win fairly comfortably, so I’ve given the ‘busters a consolation vote. Hopefully, though,..."
- In 'Creamvote quarter-final #3', TV Cream says: "Dunno what happened with the voting function on this one. Sorry, everybody! We’re just going to tally the Twitter votes instead,..."