The sporting calendar this year has worked out well for BBC2, as the darts, snooker and bowls were followed almost immediately by the Winter Olympics and meant they could fill up daytimes for a good six weeks. It’s finally come to an end and that means we’re back to non-stop repeats, but as before they’ve at least taken the opportunity to delve a bit further back and, presumably, cook up some vintage continuity to link them all. Cagney and Lacey, Are You Being Served? and ‘Allo ‘Allo! are all back, not that we can remember where we’ve got to, joined by this, which as we know was only invented as a last minute replacement for Shoestring, and just reminds us that we should have another rerun of that, twelve years after its last aborted daytime run. This’ll do for now, though.
TVC on Twitter
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
“Need money for food? Eat your fucking dog!” This biopic of Tommy Cooper tells perhaps a familiar story, fitting right into the tears-behind-the-laughter template we’ve come to expect from this kind of thing, but apparently David Threlfall’s performance as the man himself is a tour de force, and with Simon Nye on scripting duties we’re sure it’s going to be well worth watching. It does go right up to the end, and the cast list does include actors portraying Les Dennis and Dustin Gee.
Subscribe to Creamguide
Points of View
- In 'Fast Forward', Richard16378 says: "I used to like the way the logo would turn into a racing car & zoom off. For some reason a clip of a lizard walking on water would randomly..."
- In 'To Live and Die in LA ', Vic Shortman says: "Isn’t the “fuck a baker” line spoken by nominal hero William Petersen to his pet grass Darlanne Fleugel? I always liked..."
- In 'WITHERS, Googie', WiChi says: "Night and the City – another performance to remember! She also had a number of tragicomic roles in the 80s-90s, like in Ending Up, Hotel du Lac..."
- In 'Screen Test', Glenn A says: "Michael Rodd came from the same place as me, North Shields."
- In 'An A-Z of BBC2′s first 50 years', Glenn A says: "No Open Door, surely the Albion Free State caper is worthy of mention."