Apart from being inelegantly and pointlessly cropped to widescreen, the compilation served as a useful way to whet our appetite for the hugely eclectic year to come, though unless things change we won’t be seeing that Dame Edna performance again, rather thankfully. The most amazing thing is that Barry Humphries didn’t have a massive heart attack on stage. Because we went a month without episodes some of the records here seem to have been around for ages but Rocky Sharpe and The Replays are only now entering the chart, but there’s no stuff too, including what was apparently the Queen Mother’s favourite record. Then it’s repeats of Ever Decreasing Circles!
TVC on Twitter
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
What more suitable programming for this evening? Used to be that goth was the most unfashionable genre of music you could get, but in recent years quite a lot of it has become assimilated into mainstream pop. We’re mostly talking imperial phase here, though, a la The Mission and Bauhaus.
Subscribe to Creamguide
Points of View
- In 'Creamvote #1 The most unforgettable political show theme!', Neu 75 says: "Weekend World – a proper theme tune to a proper politics show when it really was politics!"
- In 'Creamvote #1 The most unforgettable political show theme!', Paul Pensom says: "Aaah Nantucket Sleigh Ride, AKA ‘the one everybody confuses with World In Action’. Both..."
- In 'Houseparty', David Leeming says: "I was brought up loving the Houseparty ladies,Cherry, Sylvia, Anne, and dear Lucy became true friends..I was in a few Saturday morning tv shows made..."
- In 'Steptoe and Son', Paul Murphy says: "The best sitcom ever bar none."
- In 'Don’t Drink the Water', Paul Murphy says: "Pat Coombs was his sister not his missus in dont drink the water."