It’s a hundred years of the BBFC – though it went a bit soft when it changed from the British Board of Film Censors to the touchy-feely British Board of Film Classification. And surely the reassuring words of Simon Bates were way more fun before a film than those endless piracy warnings. Anyway, to celebrate here’s a look at how, if their views were considered too liberal, local councils were still able to ban films anyway, most notably those councils who banned Life of Brian even though there were no cinemas under their jurisdiction anyway.
TVC on Twitter
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
“Careful Penny, I think you might have started a little bit too high!” The repeats of post-watershed Burps have returned to this channel, as we spotted too late to warn you that the first series was being shown last week, though you can see them again this weekend. But this is the one we’re particularly interested to see again, the second series from 2003, shown in double bills every night until Thursday, and including the majestic At Home With The Pop Idol Judges. Lord alone knows what latecomers to the series will make of it, especially the one where they just got bored of it and sang Crazy In Love in its entirety, which made us cry with laughter at the time.
Subscribe to Creamguide
Points of View
- In '41) “Comes with a free Catherine wheel!”', Richard16378 says: "These were great, & it helped that nostalga for the 1970s was big at the time it was made, so a..."
- In '54) “The drawings were by Valerie Pye!” ', Richard16378 says: "I admit to studying end credits, not just for who appearred in front of the camera. Puzzling over what jobs..."
- In 'Bottom Line, The', Richard16378 says: "I remember Danny Baker tried to have it put in Room 101 & ended up having to take a box set of it home with him!"
- In 'Duncan Dares', Richard16378 says: "I remember he also tried being a truck racer & a tight rope walker. There was a spin-off book with write up of some episodes, complete with a..."
- In 'Duncan Dares', Chris says: "Copy of Duncan dares as a firefighter"