It’s a hundred years of the BBFC – though it went a bit soft when it changed from the British Board of Film Censors to the touchy-feely British Board of Film Classification. And surely the reassuring words of Simon Bates were way more fun before a film than those endless piracy warnings. Anyway, to celebrate here’s a look at how, if their views were considered too liberal, local councils were still able to ban films anyway, most notably those councils who banned Life of Brian even though there were no cinemas under their jurisdiction anyway.
New! From K-Tel!
TVC on Twitter
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
Well, here’s something very intriguing – to all intents and purposes, the ITV version of TOTP2! As the So It Goes repeats on Sky Arts illustrated a few months back, there’s certainly all kinds of interesting musical moments in the ITV pop archive, with Revolver and So It Goes breaking just as many bands as Whistle Test, while we’d even be prepared to argue that Razzmatazz managed to attract virtually every big name in eighties pop to Newcastle. But somehow they never quite managed to find that one influential show that would ever rival the Pops as a flagship. What this all means is that we may see some familiar songs in unfamiliar form throughout this run, so it should be fascinating. And seemingly they’re setting their stall out early doors with The Sex Pistols and The Clash promised in this first episode.
Subscribe to Creamguide!
Points of View
- In 'Creamvote #14 The most unforgettable kids’ entertainment show theme', Austin Maxi says: "“What a handsome chap!” Of course, it has to be ‘Think Of A..."
- In 'The 50 Greatest Things About Match Of The Day', Alan says: "Does anyone else remember an MOTD – possibly from the 70s – which was broadcast during a strike, presumably by..."
- In 'Whatever Next!', Mick B says: "Referenced rather smartly on the Question Of Spit sketch for Comic Relief – back when comics made the effort to genuinely entertain in exchange..."
- In 'Zokko', Peter Coutts says: "I remember Zokko ,Skayne and the theme tune for the show which was the sort of catchy thing that drove you mad. After Zokko a very similar show with an..."
- In 'Tigris', THX 1139 says: "For years I thought I had watched the film of Kon-Tiki (the other famous Heyerdahl seafaring expedition) when I was a very small boy but when I finally saw..."