It’s sixty years of the pop charts, an anniversary we’ll hear more about later this week, and this is obviously the perfect show to mark it, which they’re doing by, er, not playing a chart at all but instead presenting the first of two special shows playing the best-selling single from each year in turn. We’re not entirely sure about this because the fun of the show, for us, is hearing the records nobody ever plays anywhere else anymore, and as that standby episode the other month proved, their definition of “best-selling” often seems to be a bit muddled. In any case, here’s the first 34 which is a bit messy but records were a bit shorter in those days.
New! From K-Tel!
TVC on Twitter
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
Here’s a Christmas staple that’s lasted longer than Creamguide, and like us is clearly struggling to find ways to present the same material as every year in a slightly different guise. These days because it’s the only one they do – although given how frequently they repeat them, we don’t know why they don’t do some more – it’s also a repository for any other bits and bobs that may have turned up over the last twelve months, with “rare footage of Kate Bush” promised, though don’t get too excited.
Subscribe to Creamguide
Points of View
- In 'The six best Christmas TV Times covers', borgduck says: "Are you sure these aren’t the six worst TV Times covers?"
- In 'The six worst Christmas Radio Times covers', Richard16378 says: "While I have a higher opinion of Some Mothers Do Ave Em than TVC I admit that picture of Frank Spencer isn’t..."
- In 'The six worst Christmas Radio Times covers', borgduck says: "Strap yourselves. There’s a Some Mothers repeat in less than half an hour!"
- In 'The six worst TV Times Christmas covers', borgduck says: "AVERT YOUR EYES! WHAT A NIGHTMARE!"
- In 'It’s the double-sized Christmas Creamguide number 2014!', Des E says: "Nice spoof of the 1991 Christmas Radio Times cover."