It’s sixty years of the pop charts, an anniversary we’ll hear more about later this week, and this is obviously the perfect show to mark it, which they’re doing by, er, not playing a chart at all but instead presenting the first of two special shows playing the best-selling single from each year in turn. We’re not entirely sure about this because the fun of the show, for us, is hearing the records nobody ever plays anywhere else anymore, and as that standby episode the other month proved, their definition of “best-selling” often seems to be a bit muddled. In any case, here’s the first 34 which is a bit messy but records were a bit shorter in those days.
TVC on Twitter
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
Sad to report we haven’t actually watched this series, one of the few new programmes we’re actually billing, but we hear they’ve done a decent enough job of it and tonight we finish up with a look at the eighties. You’d hope they’d dig a bit deeper in the archives to avoid showing us some very familiar fare indeed, though it does promise to go off the beaten track a bit rather than just bang on about shoulder pads as Kevin Rowland is among the interviewees.
Subscribe to Creamguide
Points of View
- In 'Medusa Touch, The', iMatt says: "The courtroom scene was pretty good too. And the bit when he argues with wife and her new lover (played by Jeremy Brett)."
- In 'McCloud', iMatt says: "Pretty much inspired by Coogan’s Bluff starring Clint Eastwood?"
- In 'Paddles Up', Graham says: "Watching Paddles Up was very educational and I believe young people do white water rafting in Northampton."
- In 'Brass', Damian says: "It’s BLACKGUARD-not ‘blaggard’."
- In 'The Official Doctor Who Fan Club returns', ann marie louuise white says: "I am biggest fan in the world be course I love doctor who Matthew Robert Smith he is so lovely young Man in..."