It’s sixty years of the pop charts, an anniversary we’ll hear more about later this week, and this is obviously the perfect show to mark it, which they’re doing by, er, not playing a chart at all but instead presenting the first of two special shows playing the best-selling single from each year in turn. We’re not entirely sure about this because the fun of the show, for us, is hearing the records nobody ever plays anywhere else anymore, and as that standby episode the other month proved, their definition of “best-selling” often seems to be a bit muddled. In any case, here’s the first 34 which is a bit messy but records were a bit shorter in those days.
New! From K-Tel!
TVC on Twitter
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
When Pop Went Epic – The Crazy World Of The Concept Album
Friday, 22.00, BBC4
Hard to imagine anything in pop history easier to ridicule these days than the seventies concept album, and indeed many of the people who made them are now happy to laugh at the excesses of the whole business, but you can’t fault their ambition in trying to cram as many ideas as they could into just twelve inches of vinyl. Rick Wakeman made a couple and he’s the perfect host to take this fond look back at the golden age of the LP, which really did veer from the sublime to the ridiculous.
Subscribe to Creamguide!
Points of View
- In 'Creamvote quarter-final #1', Claire W says: "Ah come on! Nantucket Sleighride by Mountain?! Possibly the only rock track ever about whaling. Mind you, it does go on a bit. The..."
- In 'Creamvote quarter-final #1', arthur saldanha junior says: "I liked the theme tune to weekend world. would listen to the music then switch the TV off."
- In 'Creamvote quarter-final #1', Tim Wolfram says: "I chose weekend World as I spent many a Sunday afternoon sitting through the last 5 or 10 minutes of this programme waiting for..."
- In 'Creamvote quarter-final #1', Adrian Fry says: "Weekend World every time because the music generated the sort of intense angst the news itself always did."
- In 'Creamvote quarter-final #1', Des E says: "“Everyone’s going to go for The Prisoner anyway.” I haven’t… and I don’t see why WW can’t put up a..."