It’s sixty years of the pop charts, an anniversary we’ll hear more about later this week, and this is obviously the perfect show to mark it, which they’re doing by, er, not playing a chart at all but instead presenting the first of two special shows playing the best-selling single from each year in turn. We’re not entirely sure about this because the fun of the show, for us, is hearing the records nobody ever plays anywhere else anymore, and as that standby episode the other month proved, their definition of “best-selling” often seems to be a bit muddled. In any case, here’s the first 34 which is a bit messy but records were a bit shorter in those days.
New! From K-Tel!
TVC on Twitter
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
We’ve been absolutely fascinated by Inside The Commons over the last few weeks, and we think a couple of MPs from across the parties have come out of it rather well, aiming to use their platform to actually do some good for the people they represent, and one particular MP has not, not that we expected much else from them. Much of it has been devoted to chronicling the uneasy mix between the traditions of Westminster and modern day politics and that’s something expanded upon here as Julia Langdon, who’s been reporting from there for forty years, is joined by a number of distinguished guests to discuss how it’s in some ways better – including, as the title suggests, a little less sexism – and in some ways worse.
Points of View
- In 'Creamvote #14 The most unforgettable kids’ entertainment show theme', Applemask says: "I want to vote for “The 8.15 From Manchester” so bad it hurst, but I fear it..."
- In 'PICK OF THE DAY', Richard16378 says: "While I was a bit too young to get into this it’s still nice to see it back on TV. I did wonder if the early 1990s repeats of lots of old..."
- In 'Up and Down, In and Out, Roundabout Man, The', Daniel Bennison says: "Hi, I am Ben’s son and would like to know if there is a way of acquiring the up and..."
- In 'Neighbours', Richard16378 says: "Originally Neighbours was show at 13:30 each afternoon, with a repeat of the previous day’s episode at about 10:30. Once it became popular with..."
- In 'Neighbours', Scott McPhee says: "The popularity of Neighbours in the UK was often a discussion point in the TV press here. For one thing, kids across the UK were reported to be..."