It’s sixty years of the pop charts, an anniversary we’ll hear more about later this week, and this is obviously the perfect show to mark it, which they’re doing by, er, not playing a chart at all but instead presenting the first of two special shows playing the best-selling single from each year in turn. We’re not entirely sure about this because the fun of the show, for us, is hearing the records nobody ever plays anywhere else anymore, and as that standby episode the other month proved, their definition of “best-selling” often seems to be a bit muddled. In any case, here’s the first 34 which is a bit messy but records were a bit shorter in those days.
New! From K-Tel!
TVC on Twitter
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
An hour of post-watershed Bullseye and not even the “‘e’s pissin’ deaf!” clip? What is the point! We didn’t think much of the Bullseye documentary, actually, the usual fare of badly cropped clips, talking heads offering nothing and endless repetition, and though you can see it again tonight, you’ll probably get more entertainment from this, bloody hell, eight hour marathon of the show.
Subscribe to Creamguide!
Points of View
- In 'Agaton Sax', THX 1139 says: "When the BBC showed the Kenneth Williams-voiced cartoon, they cut off the opening titles to each episode. Now YouTube reveals why: Agaton Sax appears..."
- In 'Adventures of Robinson Crusoe, The', THX 1139 says: "I have a strong early memory of seeing a Robinson Crusoe programme in colour, but everywhere says this series was in black and..."
- In 'Adventures of Robinson Crusoe, The', Damon says: "I must’ve watched this in about 1978-ish when I was 7 or 8. I loved it. I think it may well have been the Saturday morning..."
- In '60 70 80 Show, The', Damon says: "Hudd at front, couple of sidekickcs with him, some humour, old people sitting around on tables in the well-likt studio as if it were a kind of cafe..."
- In 'Horses Galore', Droogie says: "I remember Susan King well. As a kid I had a horse-obsessed cousin called Joanne, and always had to sit through this show if it was on whenever I was..."