It’s sixty years of the pop charts, an anniversary we’ll hear more about later this week, and this is obviously the perfect show to mark it, which they’re doing by, er, not playing a chart at all but instead presenting the first of two special shows playing the best-selling single from each year in turn. We’re not entirely sure about this because the fun of the show, for us, is hearing the records nobody ever plays anywhere else anymore, and as that standby episode the other month proved, their definition of “best-selling” often seems to be a bit muddled. In any case, here’s the first 34 which is a bit messy but records were a bit shorter in those days.
TVC on Twitter
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
After the sporting compilation, here’s the centrepiece of the celebrations – though not the end, as we’re promised more, including a Harry and Paul special, “sprinkled across the schedules throughout the year” – as Dara O’Briain and top Creamer Richard Osman host this special. It’s all based around a quiz but you’re to expect lots of clips and surprise guests popping in throughout its hundred minute running time, and it should all be perfectly entertaining holiday fare.
Subscribe to Creamguide
Points of View
- In 'Play Chess', Graham Pearson says: "Play Chess was generally broadcast during the school holidays. I also remember BBC2 coverage of two senior chess players in action."
- In 'Fast Forward', Scott McPhee says: "This was shown on Australian television, too. I seem to remember Fast Forward had a vox pop segment. In this, a camera crew went to a generic..."
- In 'Rainbow', Scott McPhee says: "Why no mention of Zippy and Bungle?"
- In 'Words and Pictures', Rehannah Mian says: "I have just uploaded the Words and Pictures Halloween episode. It has the witches song in it but not the pumpkin..."
- In 'For the West ', malcolm says: "Does anybody know where I can find this to buy ? My brother acted in it as a child and only got to see it once. It would make a great gift :0)"