One of our favourite passages in Boy by Roald Dahl was the chapter about visiting the sweet shop, rightly pointing out what an important venue it was for a young child at the time, and just the other day Creamguide got a Proustain rush when he was queuing in the newsagent behind a kid taking his pick from the sweet jars. Nigel Slater certainly knows the feeling as he takes a look at the origins of some sweet shop staples and considers why the smells and tastes remain so potent.
TVC on Twitter
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
Oh yeah, this is back, as well. And later than ever as well, with the whole series seemingly being shown around this time, and this bumper extended episode – the longest one since it came back, we think – even creeping past the watershed, which is a bit of a jolt when in previous series the Beeb have always seemed extremely reluctant to put it on any later than the very youngest viewers can see it. Looks like there’s a change of heart with the new grumpy Doctor though we don’t doubt it’ll still be fun for the whole family and Peter Capaldi’s performance will be immaculate.
Subscribe to Creamguide
Points of View
- In 'Longest Day, The ', Morgan says: "“…. And if your in doubt about who’s on the other side of that wall, here’s a cricket thingy.” Can’t help but..."
- In 'Grand Prix ', Morgan says: "Severely disturbing scene of the mortality of the 60′s motor racer, rendered ridiculous by previous shoots of a boiler suit stuffed with socks,..."
- In 'Goodfellas ', Morgan says: "Watch out for the bit when the news of Tommy’s whacking reaches Jimmy, who in turn whacks the telephone booth and the prop falls over off camera...."
- In 'You Gotta Be Jokin’!', Richard16378 says: "It’s sounds like I dodged a bullet by somehow missing this. The BBC’s LE Dept had a few clunkers around this time, the..."
- In 'Final Conflict: Omen III ', Morgan says: "The monk assassins are hilarious like a cross between The Gang That Couldn’t Shoot Straight and The Goodies, try watching the TV..."