John Peel used to say that the reason he sped to Dallas when he’d heard JFK had been shot – and eventually ended up in the same room when Jack Ruby shot Lee Harvey Oswald – was not just because he was desperate for something interesting to do, but because in 1960, when he’d been on a motorcade campaigning, Peel had wished him luck and JFK, having noticed his accent, spoke to him for about thirty seconds, whereas when he’d said the same thing to Nixon he ignored him , so as far as he was concerned someone had shot His Pal Jack. Sadly we won’t get to see that conversation on this programme as it features footage of his campaigning in Wisconsin in that election, but it’ll still be worth a look.
New! From K-Tel!
TVC on Twitter
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
Altogether now… “It’s just a gimmack, innat!” Hopefully that brilliant clip will turn up again in this new documentary which looks at the relationship between pop stars and their fans. It’s not just teen bands, either, and we well recall someone from The Frank And Walters telling Smash Hits about how in 1980 he was such a big fan of Buggles he opened the All Ireland Buggles Fan Club, which had a membership of two, him and his mate, and their activities mostly involved going for walks while carrying Buggles LPs. Kate Mossman presents and talks about her obsession with Queen’s Roger Taylor while Alan Johnson recalls his Beatlemania.
Subscribe to Creamguide!
Points of View
- In 'Sandbaggers, The', Ant says: "Never shown on a Sunday, always a Monday at 9pm."
- In 'Zokko', Astronut says: "Score 15. Tramp-o-line."
- In 'James Bond Digital Alarm Watches', Richard16378 says: "At a guess: Salt & Vinegar Cheese & Onion Roast Beef Smokey Bacon"
- In 'James Bond Digital Alarm Watches', Graham Pearson says: "The 1983 incarnation of Smiths Crisps had five different flavours including Ready Salted. Please can you tell me what the..."
- In 'Life and Loves of a She-Devil, The', Barbersmith says: "I recently saw the repeat of this. It really is Christ-awful. Tom Baker does one of the worst drunk scenes ever seen, and the..."