John Peel used to say that the reason he sped to Dallas when he’d heard JFK had been shot – and eventually ended up in the same room when Jack Ruby shot Lee Harvey Oswald – was not just because he was desperate for something interesting to do, but because in 1960, when he’d been on a motorcade campaigning, Peel had wished him luck and JFK, having noticed his accent, spoke to him for about thirty seconds, whereas when he’d said the same thing to Nixon he ignored him , so as far as he was concerned someone had shot His Pal Jack. Sadly we won’t get to see that conversation on this programme as it features footage of his campaigning in Wisconsin in that election, but it’ll still be worth a look.
TVC on Twitter
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
Bit poor of BBC4 to let the side down as we were in with a chance of all four BBC channels featuring Glasgow at the same time. That’s because in addition to the Games on BBC1 and BBC3, here we’re taking a trip to Duke Street, Britain’s longest street and therefore fertile ground for plenty of stories about social history, not least how half of it was nearly knocked down a few decades ago.
Subscribe to Creamguide
Points of View
- In 'New Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, The', THX 1139 says: "As Sammy Snyders (Tom) would tell you, what Mark Twain really missed out was a talking teddy bear and a pit full of ravenous..."
- In 'Ripcord', Lina B. Umpierre says: "As the late Larry Pennell (* Uniontown, Pennsylvania, United States of America/February 21, 1928 – + ?/August 28, 2013) as the colorful and..."
- In 'Ripcord', Lina B. Umpierre says: "Mental note: If you really want to parachute and/or skydive, just remember always the audacious and brave “Ripcord” men, Ted McKeever..."
- In 'Ripcord', Lina B. Umpierre says: "This is the most danger-packed adventure show on television of the early 1960s ever made. Every jump and aerial maneuver are real, photographed..."
- In 'Perils of Penelope Pitstop, The', THX 1139 says: "How come the Anthill Mob all sat in the front seat of their car, piled up on top of one another? Chugaboom had plenty of room for..."