It took a few months but thankfully Eric is getting the obituary he deserves with this new documentary, with the likes of Michael Palin and Eddie Izzard paying tribute to a man who at one time appeared to be writing every single comedy show on TV and radio. Then later, after QI, it’s a repeat of Sykes that, gasp, isn’t the Peter Sellers episode, though it is from the very last series in 1979. Following that is a programme first shown on Christmas Day 2001 which got a rare chance to look into his office and find out how he managed to still regularly write and perform despite being, at that point, almost totally deaf and blind.
New! From K-Tel!
TVC on Twitter
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
Top of the Pops
Friday, 19.30, 00.00, BBC4
We know he’s bloody useless at it, but actually quite a lot of the shows from 1982 we’re looking forward to seeing are presented by Simon Bates. It’s not for him, obviously, but he just happened to be hosting episodes featuring cracking line-ups or hugely memorable performances. His first edition of the year isn’t perhaps one of them, especially as a number of performances you’ll already have seen on the clip show, though that does emphasise there are lots of famous songs about.
Subscribe to Creamguide!
Points of View
- In 'Atlantic 252', Anthony says: "Before Atlantic 252 launched there were mentions in the press that it would carry Radio Luxembourg after 7pm on the 252 kHz LW frequency, had it have..."
- In 'Creamvote semi-final #1', Anthony says: "I like the original Who theme done by Delia Derbyshire as it’s the best version yet and has all the necessities of a sci-fi signature..."
- In 'PICK OF THE DAY', Richard16378 says: "I’ve been hoping the BBC4 repeats would get to 1982 even since the started. This is mainly because it’s when I started to watch TOTP..."
- In 'PICK OF THE DAY', Palitoy says: "Also worth noting – to reiterate a point made in one of the Cream Amigo’s recent (and great) commentary-casts – is that the..."
- In 'Sons and Daughters', Scott McPhee says: "Ally Fowler, who starred in Sons and Daughters, is still acting and performing. She sings in a pop group called The Chantoozies."