It took a few months but thankfully Eric is getting the obituary he deserves with this new documentary, with the likes of Michael Palin and Eddie Izzard paying tribute to a man who at one time appeared to be writing every single comedy show on TV and radio. Then later, after QI, it’s a repeat of Sykes that, gasp, isn’t the Peter Sellers episode, though it is from the very last series in 1979. Following that is a programme first shown on Christmas Day 2001 which got a rare chance to look into his office and find out how he managed to still regularly write and perform despite being, at that point, almost totally deaf and blind.
TVC on Twitter
Creamguide's Pick of the Day
“Biscuits means twice cooked in French – but are they really twice cooked? I mean, do you have to put them in the oven then take them out for a bit then put them back in the oven again, or is it all just a giant con by the biscuit marketing board?” If you had to invent the ultimate BBC4 programme, the history of the biscuit would probably be dismissed as being too silly, but that’s what we’ve got, and we’re sure it’s going to be absolutely fascinating.
Subscribe to Creamguide
Points of View
- In 'Ripcord', Lina B. Umpierre says: "Larry Pennell (February 21, 1928 – August 28, 2013), already gone, but never forgotten as the colorful and youthful “Ripcord” guy..."
- In 'Daily Fable, The', Martin Anderson says: "I loved this, but I know no-one else who remembers it. I associate it with Crossroads as my mum never watched BBC at that time of night!. Mr..."
- In 'Grimm Tales', Applemask says: "Only one “m”, so as to function as such as a pun and so forth. Also, too, Rik Mayall ruled, at least if you were the target age for the..."
- In 'Terrific Adventures of the Terrible Ten, The', Richard Felstead says: "Chris Davies. I worked with your dad @ Crawford Productions. Also with Lindsay Parker (RIP) and John Phillips."
- In 'M*A*S*H', Sarah Hall says: "Oh yes Wednesday night bbc2 9pm. I had to be ready for bed and it was bed straight after but as a child I was allowed to watch this and I still love it...."